Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
Larry45
Ross, how well do you think your swing adapts to the older player who loses flexibility? I’ve been a member for a few years now, and at age 73 I’m finding it more and more difficult to turn the shoulders against a stable lower body. I just can’t turn my shoulders much without my hips wanting to turn as well, so if I stay true to your method, my backswing is getting shorter by the day. I’m about two clubs shorter now than I was just a few years ago, and I’m wondering if there is a point where a senior player needs to find a more “body friendly” swing. What are your thoughts on this? How do you suggest we deal with the inevitable loss of strength and flexibility as we get dragged kicking and screaming into old age?
Ross
Turning the shoulders against the lower body, is just to remove the slack in the back muscles.  It can add power when used correctly.  As long as you start the shoulders first and wind from top down on the backswing you're maximizing my method for the backswing.

What you do on the downswing is just as important for adding distance.  Without seeing your swing I can't tell you if there are elements in my method missing or some point there is a power loss.  My method is designed to hit the ball solid, in the center of the club face, straight.  That generally adds up to fun golf.  I don't teach them, but I'm sure you can find other "hit the ball long" tips that may help you, but may sacrifice direction or make for inconsistent distance.  Like they say... if it works use it.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Larry45
Okay Ross, thanks. As I age and become less flexible, I’m finding that trying for a little longer backswing pulls my left knee with it and shifts some weight to the right side. From there it is very difficult to make your move through the ball. If I settle for a shorter backswing and sacrifice some distance, I can still hit the ball solid and straight. And I agree, solid and straight makes the game a lot more fun. I was just curious if you feel your golf swing is as appropriate for us old and weak guys as it is for the young and strong.

To anyone reading this, do whatever you can to avoid getting old. It has no redeeming qualities whatsoever...

Ross
Ironically, I'm turning 65 this Saturday and have lost some distance, but I make up for it in humor and food.  Wish I had some answers... maybe spinach?

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Ross
Well Ross, Happy Birthday to you! If you’re like me, you have another 4 or 5 years before old Father Time starts teaching you some hard lessons about getting old. I’m in a never-ending search for the Fountain of Youth, and if I ever find it, I’ll let you know.

By the way, for what it’s worth, there is a training device called “The Hanger” that really shortens the learning curve for your golf swing. It’s made by Watson Golf, and it’s a simple device that attaches to the grip of your own golf club. If you use it correctly, you can’t help but make the golf swing that you teach. I struggled mightily with your swing early on, but one trip to the range with that thing and the fog lifted completely for me. I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to learn your methodology...

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF

© Copyright 2005-2019 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.