Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
Anthony225
I feel like I'm making good contact with the ball while holding the angle from address to impact. But I do not take a divot with iron shots. Should this be a concern with your method? Is there something I'm likely not doing correctly to not take a divot after the ball?
Ross
Unless you're contacting the ball with the leading edge only (skulling), a bit thin is not bad at all.  Many great golfers don't take a divot or pick it.  You may have a slight flip at impact.  Make sure you feel the front wrist flat or better yet, bowed out a bit towards the target, at impact.  You might take a video and look at impact. 

Another reason, you may need to move the ball slightly back in your stance... but not so far you start using the hands.  Or, you may need to snuggle in a bit (using your feet, not reaching) closer to the ball.  Experiment.  Personally, I prefer thin... right at the base of the ball or at the most a very thin divot.  Thin or no divot can be a good sign of a balanced, staying level golf swing.

Ross

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.