Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
Ross
A powerful repeatable backswing is controlled by the "shoulders".  I've taught to start the backswing by turning the shoulders around the spine.  Some of my students also like to use the front shoulder to "push" on the takeaway and are successful. 

I have found something "new" lately that I consider to be an "option" that also helps with the backswing, and at the same time, helps with a different issue in the golf swing... maintaining the "width" of the backswing.

If you setup shaft in line with the front arm, elbows close pointing at the hips, and wrists set like impact, then use your "back shoulder" to try to pull your back shoulder behind you (toward your spine), you can move that "arm template" during the backswing and it is much easier to maintain its shape and width.  Our goal is to use the shoulders on the backswing and keep that arm shape in tact, meaning the elbows stay close together, wrists fixed.  You do not need a big backswing.  You don't want to go to the point where the arms/hands help and lift on their own.  Try this first with a half backswing thinking "pull" using the back shoulder...  then maybe go a little farther etc.

One more thing... I think this thought also helps keeps you from sliding to the back foot. [smile]

Try this option. It may help your backswing... Ross

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
dlagoy
Hi Ross,
     I just realized when hitting some shots today, that I was hitting some balls fat. I figured out that it was because the template wasn't keeping its width. Reading this post helped me a lot as far as making solid contact.
     Thanks.
Ross
Great to hear!

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
ed256
Hi Ross

I too find the right shoulder helps the shoulders turn easier, I seem to hit a nice soft draw! great site!

Regards

Eddie
ed256
Back shoulder works for me! more width longer drives!
Jason2010
Hi Ross,

Personally I am really fortunate to meet with your golf teaching as I have found your swing method is very simple but powerful compared with any others.

However I found one discrepancy with my swing thought.  Just want to hear your thought on this. 

Re backswing, it starts with my feet. I am RH golfer. Pressing my right foot on the ground seems the trigger to move the club head. In this way, easier to start sequential downswing as well - feet leg hip upper body shoulder and arms which is exactly opposite to backswing. 

Ross
With my method, the backswing starts with the "shoulders".  The back foot is anchored to the instep, with the back knee braced, to help hold with 60% of your weight forward, but the action for windup is from the "shoulders" first.  This is a very powerful move that Carl Lohren (One Move to Better Golf) saw in Ben Hogan's swing.  This move winds up the Large Back muscles taking the "slack" out of the back muscles between the shoulders and the hips. This creates a continuity from the shoulders to the hips so they can't move independently.  Essentially, we're winding the body from top down like a rubber band that's anchored to the ground.  NOW, on the downswing, the opposite happens... the swing unwinds from ground up due to the potential created from the backswing. I know this sounds very complicated... so, just let your shoulders (only) start the backswing and the rest usually just falls into place... like throwing a ball.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Jason2010
Hi Ross,

Thanks for your kind response.

I like your swing lesson saying a consistent grip pressure through the swing.

Cheers,
Jason
Dan
Hey Bro,
I noticed an article in the recent Golf Digest that advocates turning the shoulders to start the backswing. Sound familiar? Also another article on golf channel.com endorses keeping the club “outside” on the backswing - all the way, keeping the hands quiet and turning the body through on the downswing - no flip or release with the hands. This all sounds very familiar.
hope your staying cool!
Dan
Ross
Hey Bro
Always great to hear from you.  Haha... yes, sounds familiar.  Seems to me I was talking about those very moves back at Puerto del Sol in 1993.  You know the shoulders starting the backswing, I learned from Carl Lohren's book  "One Move to Better Golf."  He saw it in Ben Hogan's swing way back when.  We are staying cool â„❄❄ .  Keep in touch ðŸ™‚ 

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Jason2010
Hey bro,

I always think .. my swing key is to let my arms and hands free all the time throughout backswing and downswing. 

I do start forward pressing move by stepping left foot and right foot. This initiates my right hips to assisting rebounding  my arms and club to the backswing position. 

Maybe this move works only for me. 

Thanks anyway for your feedback on this. 

Jason
Ross
Sorry, Jason I don't understand, so I can't offer any feedback.  If it works for you... do it.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Jason2010
Hi Ross, Just one more question...

When your left shoulder turns and reaches at the top of backswing, are you (should I) feeling of your wrist hinging/cocking just before downswing? Or better not have this hinging feeling?

Many thanks for your reply on my questions. 

Jason
Ross
There are many posts here (search the keyword ...  hinge)  and read this from the Blog   https://movelessgetgood.com/to-hinge-or-not-to-hinge/

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
alanschulte
Ross:  Your turn the right shoulder move was used by Nick Faldo when he was winning majors.  He did pretty good.  Alan

© Copyright 2005-2019 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.