Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
EmailsToRoss
Hi Ross,
So if I use a strong grip, does the elbows pointing to the hips rule still apply? When I set the shaft in line with my arm (I'm a righty), my forearm turns pointing my left elbow to the target.

Hello
I understand what you’re saying.  Think of the “grip" as trying to control the club face and the "front elbow" as trying to control the front arm (which also indirectly controls the club face).  They both can cause issues and both play a role during the swing.

The best position for the front elbow during the swing, at impact, is pointing at the front hip, because it will soon need to bend and point “down” as the back elbow straightens after impact.  If you don’t do this, the front elbow can “chicken wing” or bend out causing big problems.

Now, you developed your “strong grip” because of a different type of movement through impact that relies on the hands to do everything, so you adjusted your grip to try to “time” your release, for (hopefully) a square face.  We don’t release through impact so we can have “solid” repeatable contact.  We let the body move the arms/template/shape through impact.

Many of my students can have a “strongish” type grip and still point the elbow back.  Experiment holding the setup shape and just moving your front elbow.  The “key”, is that you can “maintain" what ever you choose through impact to have a “square” face with the shaft in line with the front arm.

NOW… what are the trade offs?  Nothing is in stone about all this… it is about what is repeatable and everyone is different.  I know that getting that front elbow to point back at the front hip fixes/prevents so many issues.  In your case, you will either chicken wing just past impact, or your front elbow will eventually turn down and roll the club face closed (to soon and your in trouble), or force the wrists to “flip” trying to keep the face square… both are not good. ALSO, much of this will force the body to stop rotating.  We want the arms/club setup in a way that the shoulders can control them… we don’t want the arms to have to be “fixing” themselves during the swing.

lyleric
Ross, I've recently started to learn and apply your method and am hitting some pretty solid shots on the range (not to the course yet.) I am however, struggling  with keeping the elbows in and pointing down. I guess it could be age (66) and flexibility issues, or maybe an anatomical issue, but when I try and do it, I have very limited range of motion on the back swing. Any ideas? Thanks LH
Ross
All my suggestions about setup and moving through the swing are "ideal" or "it would be preferable if" you could.  No one (me included), can be a perfect model.  Theses suggestions all "help" in their own way and combine to make the swing more repeatable.

Now, there are many different body types and shapes out there and you do what you can.  In your case (speculating), you might not know that the back elbow must bend some on the backswing and you're trying to keep both elbows pointing back and "straight" and that is restricting your backswing... so make sure you let it bend.

Now, if that is not the case... the front elbow pointing back "at impact" trumps all ! ... so if you can focus more on the front elbow only (at setup and impact, or at least at impact), it should help you... again (speculating) without knowing your specific issue.  You may not need to worry about the elbows at all and still enjoy my method.  Nothing is in stone.

FYI... the elbow pointing back at the front hip through impact, helps keep the club face square and prevents the "chicken wing" bending out past impact that causes many issues .... mostly going right for a (right hander)

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.