Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
Anthony225
Ross,
In the straight arm drill is the goal to work on front arm strait before impact and back arm straight after? Is that what you mean when you say "straight arm, straight arm" during the drill?
Ross
Yes, you can think that way and that is what happens.  The drill was more to engage the Large Muscles to do the work by taking the hands/arms/club out of the equation.  This is a short backswing, to help teach you to focus more on letting the body move the arms/club.  I know I slightly bend my back arm a bit (on the backswing), but it is the "thought" or "idea" of trying to use the body to swing the arms.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
DJC2650
Ross, Played a couple of days ago and hit some good shots (some I didn't think I could do previously) but still hit some slices and some shots pushed straight left.

I am thinking this is tying back to how I am using my arms.  I do set up athletically and I kind of lean over the ball a bit to make sure my arms are hanging straight down and I keep my chin up.  Being tall, I find I need to arch my upper back up some too to keep the arms hanging.

I am making sure I keep the template intact and I swing with my shoulders only going straight back and around my spine.

Here's my question - I feel like I am getting caught with my arms not rising enough in the back swing and this inhibits the turn.  For instance, if I do the drill with the arms straight out in front and practice this rotation, that's great.  My arms are already up and I let them rise a bit higher if I keep rotating.

Should I be just letting the arms rise? 

Thanks- I don't want to lift the arms as this tends to let the arms take over from the shoulder turn.
Ross
First, you don't want the arms lifting themselves.  The shoulders/spine angle control where they go.  A couple of things could be happening.

1.  Your arms are fine and you're used to your old swing with a backswing arm/lift and this new swing feels short.

2.  The arms can't inhibit the turn when the shoulders have full control.  You do want your upper arms no top of your pecs (not pinching your chest).  This will let them still hang, but be a bit farther away and may help.

3.  Your arms are moving to the inside on their own across your body and getting hung up.  The arms don't cross the body, they kind of stay in front of the body as the shoulders turn... or think they say in between the shoulders. This gives great extension and repeatability.

We don't want the arms to disconnect... the shoulders take control.  Your backswing may feel a bit shorter, but the arms will be more under control and return much easier to and through impact.

On the downswing, the body has to be able to bring the arms back down through impact and around to the left, without the arms taking over (helping), or getting stuck behind (usually the back elbow getting caught on the back hip, because the arms are lagging).  This is one of the many reasons for the elbows pointing at the hips... so that back elbow comes down in "front" of the back hip.

Now, your pulls and blocked shots may or may not be related to the arms.  Usually, a pull is due to lack of rotation (arms passing body too soon).  The blocked shots mean open face and that can be different reasons.  Many already discussed if you search.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
DJC2650
Thanks very much for the reply Ross.  I will get to the range soon here if the weather cooperates in NE Ohio at this time of year.  Just by swinging a club in the front yard, I think I may have isolated the problem.

In my set up, I would really concentrate on straightening my upper back at address.  I don't think this is bad in and of itself as it lets my arms hand straight down nicely.  I think I am overdoing it and it is creating a too steep of a plane.

I just made a few swings with let the upper back just relaxed instead of so upright.  I sit down to the shot this way and it feels much more comfortable.  I can then move my shoulders straight back and don't have the need to let the arms rise or pull them up.  They just swing on plane with the shoulder turn. 

Ross

Great… yes relaxed with the legs “ready” is good.  This means, not bent over, but the legs supporting a natural, athletic setup… as if you were going to wrestle someone.  Sorry about your weather…

Ross

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.