Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
Student Question
Ross, On one of your videos you said to feel that the back of your gloved hand is pointing to the ground during the backswing. During the downswing, should I have that same feeling with my ungloved (trail hand wrist). I am right handed.

Ron
Ross
Hi Ron
The front hand glove logo down (or ideally more at the target line) is just another way to check that the face has not been rolled open with the hands.  The best is to look at the club face ...it should be at about 45° at about the 1/2 way back mark (both ways backswing/downswing) we don't want it to change.  Almost ALL golfers (me included) want to let the hands open the club face... just a bad habit from an old swing that was getting ready to use the hands to hit at the ball.  If the toe of the club is pointing up at the 1/2 mark, then the hands got involved.  If we can keep the face square, the ball goes straight... and that is fun (and 1/2 the battle).

Ross

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
av5050
Ross,

Would a slight bowing of the wrist at address help this at all? 

Thanks
Ross
That could help as long as the golfer knows that, that will add "lean" to the shaft and probably de-loft the face a bit.  That is essentially Hogan's supinate move which he created to fix the fact that he had opened the face on the backswing and had to get it back to square some how.  I say just start square and keep it square.  Also, the bowed out wrist will produce a little bit more, of a steeper angle of attack, because bowing the front wrist at impact, acts almost like moving the ball back a tiny bit.  This will produce more backspin* by the way [confused].

*I don't believe in using backspin... ever.  There is no need and it is not repeatable. It also changes from green to green, reacts differently at different times of the day and changes with the weather and course conditions.  I like to use "gravity" instead... very dependable and never changes... my favorite constant.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
av5050
Ross,

The reason I ask is that a slightly bowed wrist to me is more of a feeling than just square and might be easier to keep fixed from address through impact.  It is, in a roundabout way, a way to "use" your wrists without using your wrists.

Also, doesn't compressing the ball always create some sort of backspin?

Thanks
Ross
Yes, for sure.  I edited my post above and added the word "more" to help clarify.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
av5050
Thanks again

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.