Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
Carlito199

Hi Ross,

Having a bit of difficulty understanding the shoulder turn on the backswing.

I am starting the backswing with the front shoulder but doesn't feel comfortable.

I am not sure if I am turning correctly. What i am doing is kind of like a pendulum where my front shoulder is moving straight back, is this correct?

This may have been taking from the something that was mention in the chipping/pitching video.

If I try to turn the shoulder around instead of straight back like a pendulum I feel my arm are coming inside.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated?

Ross
If you practice the Large Muscle Drill, you will feel exactly how the shoulders turn around the spine.  Also, watch:  Swing > Shoulder Turn  the video explains how the shoulders move.  Also, the arms/club do come inside, when you rotate your shoulders around your spine.  Make sure you are not pushing your front shoulder down (not good).

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Carlito199

Thanks Ross, yes I think i was pushing the front shoulder down.

Is there anyway to trigger the shoulder movement with a slight forward movement/press first and then back?

Ross
If you mean a forward press with the hands, that is okay as long as you don't press too much forward.  Ideally, the shaft will end up in line with the front arm.  It is easier to just start in line ... more consistent.  Many times golfers have trouble using the shoulders or front shoulder to move the arms/club because the shaft is not in line and the club kind of gets left behind, then the hands need to help.

FYI ... I have always had a forward press to start the takeaway.  I always wondered why, then later in my findings it was that the shaft needed to be in line with the front arm. Once the shaft is in line, it is much easier to use the shoulders to move the arms/club as one piece.  If the shaft is "weak" at setup, the club does not want to come along on the takeaway, AND can cause the "stubbing or stick in the grass" as you start the backswing, then the hands will have to grab the club and help lift or catch up (now we're in trouble).

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Carlito199
Sorry should have clarified, meant a forward move with the shoulder before the shoulders turn in the backswing?
Ross
No worries, still good to have the info about forward press out.  To answer your question:

No.  That move is just the opposite of what we are after.  The goal is to have the shoulders wind first (from top down), then as the shoulders can't go any farther, the shoulders wind the hips a little ... or (in other words), the hips allow the shoulders to turn them a little if needed*. 

*If needed means.  On a short pitch shot, the shoulders for the backswing will be plenty.  No need to engage the hips.  Yes, you still use the body's rotation for the downswing.  This makes for much more consistent shots.  We don't move it, if we dont' need it ... or if moving it lowers reliability.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Carlito199
Ok, thanks Ross

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.