Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
davew Show full post »
davew
I am pretty well qualified to talk about the shank as Ross is aware and my original post is the first one. I have spent many, many hours experimenting to fully understand this very painful phenomena which occurred on both full swings and chips.
I do not accept that the fundamental cause is an open club face although I do accept this could exacerbate the problem. The simple fact is that if you shank then you are bringing the hosel into contact with the ball and not the club face. There is nothing wrong with striking the ball with an open club face as you impart spin and fade a shot like this.
There are a few approaches to sort this out e.g. strike the ball thinking you are hitting off the toe of the club etc. This does not necessarily address the root of the problem. I believe the fundamental cause lies with a body motion that brings the club from the outside (sorry Ross I know you are not keen on this plane idea) . For a full swing, this can be caused by spinning the shoulder's from the top of the back swing etc. My post will address the full swing only as the way to fix a shanked chip is a bit different
The solution for me has been to work on my turn and get the lower body to work properly - something that has eluded me for year's. If you do this the club will approach the ball more from the inside (sorry again Ross). If you work the lower body properly the rest will follow correctly, the impact will be on the sweet spot and the shot will be straight. If you concentrate on your body motion which is driven correctly by the lower body or specifically the hip's and can then couple this with the other Move Less ....Get Good features you will be saying goodbye to the shank's, playing some great golf and thanking Ross for getting you on the right road.
Ross
Sorry to confuse [confused]. To help clarify... I am aware that there are different reasons/combination of reasons, why a golfer could shank. What I've found teaching is, most golfers that shank, have an open club face and squaring it greatly improves their problem. 

Here is some additional info to ponder based on my shanking knowledge:

IN GENERAL - What we know:
1.  The ball shanks when the ball does not hit the middle of a square club face.
2.  The ball shanks when it makes contact partially or all on the hosel of the club, or if it makes contact with the face, when it is so open, the ball slides/spins off the face.
3.  We know (if the ball shanks), that more than 50% of the ball must be on the “club face” side of the hosel, or the ball would go left instead (not shank for a right-right hander)
4.  We started with the club face squarely behind the ball at setup (or did we? Many times golfers setup to the ball, on or close to the hosel). 

So, what changed during the swing?

This is the problem.  Unless you take video, in ultra slow motion, from multiple angles, so you can view impact to see the path, and where the club face/hosel made contact and what the face looked like (how opened or not), what do you change or fix?  You’d be guessing.

Some GENERAL FIXES (based on my years of teaching/fixing)
1.  Maybe we are one of those who setup close to, or partially on the hosel.  Have a friend look from behind.  Just a bad habit and many golfers do it.  Learn what it looks like when the ball is in the middle of the club face.
2.  If we started with the club face behind the ball and at impact we hit the hosel… somehow the club moved away from the body.  Like… our arms lengthened (hum… maybe our elbows were bent at setup then straightened out due to inertia.  Maybe check our arms at setup, to make sure they’re extended, since we use them as a guide
3.  Maybe during the backswing we open the club face, and then don’t get it back to square before impact, AND our arms lengthened a bit… BIG trouble.  Check your arms at setup and learn to keep the club face square.
4.  You start balanced/athletic at setup, but then bend down (tilt) and reach during the downswing.  Setup balanced and stay centered during the swing.  If you learn to rely on the Shoulders/Body for the swing, the arms/hands don’t take over and change.

FYI... I do not teach or advocate trying to manipulate swing path or swing plane.  To do so, the arms/hands get involved, and you can never be consistent.  Let Large Muscles do the job.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Ross
THIS JUST IN:  Before and After...

The information I wrote in the last post (reply), I wrote to a student (Rick) who had left this comment (2 days ago) at duplessisgolf:

~ Rick's comment:
I really, really wish I knew why the shanks come back....  I will go weeks, months without hitting a single shank, then all of a sudden  they show up and I'm at a complete loss to figure out what's causing? Incredibly frustrating to a point I don't want to touch a club.    Confidence is gone , death spiral is back.... Need help.

~ So, again I sent Rick the info in my last reply about "Why the ball shanks etc."  Well, Rick just wrote me today and said this today:

~ Thanks Ross.... I watched your video twice and rehearsed the correct take away keeping the Club face squarely rotating the shoulders .... Played yesterday at Lookout Mountain in Phoenix and shot 83 with only one shank....
Thank you again Ross....

I know keeping the face square may not help everyone with the shanks, but it does help many. [wink]

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.