Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
Anthony225
Is the feeling of the shaft online with the front arm supposed to be firm and stiff? What I'm picturing is an example where the shaft would almost rest against my forearm if the butt end were longer or if I gripped way down on a club. Do the three fingers of the front hand hold the club firmly against the inside of the palm? I'm trying to get the correct feeling of the left hand/arm online with the club when done correctly.
Ross
It is firm.  Firm enough to transfer energy from the ball, through the shaft, through the arms*, through the shoulders and into the body as it is rotating.  We don't want any breakdown.  If the grip is too lose, the club face can torque and turn and miss hits can not transfer much energy across the hands into the shaft.

Yes the last three fingers of the front hand hold the grip.  If you hold the club out in front of you with only the front arm, then move your arm right and left moving the club head a couple feet, you'll feel how much grip pressure that one hand will have to apply, so the club shaft stays in line with the arm.

You should feel the shaft being pulled "left" via the body's rotation.  The shaft does not flip and point at the target like other instruction says.  Let your body's turn pull the butt end of the shaft left as you turn through.  As long as the face is square, the ball will go straight.

*Both hands/wrists help hold the "setup shape" through impact. 

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Anthony225
Thanks Ross. I am having trouble holding the shape and bringing the arms down in front as I turn. When I look at my swing on video I can see that my hands and arms are passing my body before and through impact. I was thinking that how I hold the club contributed to that. I guess my biggest issue at this point is getting the arms down in front as I turn. Really struggling with this.
Ross
You want to feel the body unwinding and the "body" pulls the arms/club back down in front of the body.  This is just like throwing a ball.  The body is turning, but the arm does not get left behind... it comes along with the turn, and catches up... back in front and then the body "mass" hurls the arm forward.  The same thing happens with the golf swing.  Watch "The Ross Move". 

There is a golf instructor  Michael Hebron, who said:  "The inside moves the outside"  and I think that sums it up.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
davew
A think this topic is worthy of a few comments as I think it is one of the fundamentals of Move Less....Get Good. Generally the opposite happens compared to Anthony's experience where the arm template is 'left behind' the movement of the hip turn (as per Ross's video) and results in problems of ball going right with open club face, shank etc. The arm's must come down with the elbows pointing back to the hips to mimic the set up at impact except that the hip's are now a bit open. It is essential to master this move - if you also keep the club face square to the path throughout together with the other parts of the set up you have all the elements for a solid game of golf. It may take a while to see good results but from experience it is well worth the effort. Cheer's, Dave
Anthony225
Thanks...I will work on this.

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.