Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
Silky1
Hi Ross ,
Progress is really coming along nicely but still get out of routine and rhythm occasionally.Shot 83 with
2 O.B.'s (4 penalty strokes.Hit 13/14 fairways,10 greens with 30 putts (2 ,3 putts).
Really encouraging ,just need to stay in my routine (your routine).
Played first 11 holes at 2 over ,hit a big drive(for me) left 50 yards to elevated green with water
in front .reverted back to old handsy  swing with lob wedge(S-----d it  O.B..Played last 7 in 9 over.
Just need to play thru the bad shots.
Ross ,your system is the best ,I was hitting the ball long and straight except when I lost my rhythm
due to my miscues.
The course where we play is in Mexico ,cut out of the jungle with tight fairways.O.B. on both sides
and elevated small greens so I only mention this to show how well your system works ,if you trust
it and just use the large muscles ,as you always say.

Thanks for your help and instruction.[thumb][thumb]

Jim
Moving less and getting better....[thumb]
Ross
One thing you can try that I think works wonderful (for your rhythm concerns), is ... once you're totally setup ... just turn your head only and while you are looking at the target, visualize "in rhythm", a backswing movement & a downswing movement.  This might be:

Shoulders - backswing
Hips - downswing

Again, in rhythm  You actually say these words to yourself ... at the "pace" you want to move your body.  Then, turning only your head, look back at the ball and GO!  You do the "movements" at the pace you rehearsed a few seconds ago.  This technique I figured out 15-20 years ago and have been teaching it everyday.  IT WORKS AWESOME!  You just have to incorporate it into your routine and do it.  This keeps you in rhythm and removes anxiety and is comforting and really adds confidence in the long run.

Silky1 ...any progress is always good.  Actually, I like to give some great advice I heard years ago, to my students ... I tell them:

Some of your best "growth" will come from "setbacks". 

Also, expect to fail sometimes, but get back on and fail "better" next time.

We all mess up and make mistakes.  It is how you handle the "setbacks".  Learn from them.

All aspects of life have ups and downs.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Silky1
Ross ,Thanks so much for your words of wisdom.I will try your rhythm method .I recall you doing that in a video but it didn't stick.The dreaded "S" was a case of my
losing focus and should have hit the 50 yd.pitch shot.I just totally went blank and tried a shot from the past.I hope I can learn from that.
Anyway , if there is anyone setting on the fence about switching to your method ,I hope they make the leap of faith because you really are the best method and everyone
should at least give it a try..I know I was skeptical for over a year but now see that as a wasted year.

Thanks Again and all the best.

Jim
Silky1
Hi Ross
Another progress report.Things are really working well but I still slip out of my routine always with
less than desirable results.On the first hole ,I let my hands take over and hooked O.B..Made
triple bogey .After that we got back in routine and shot 79.Only hit 6 greens but several hit the green but rolled off due to firm greens.Up /down 8/12 ,including 3/4 sand saves,26 putts and 10/14 fairways.
Irons are long and high ,drives are really solid ,overall ,I am really excited and can't wait til next week.
I miss hit a couple of 40/50 yard pitches or score could have been a little better.
Ross ,I thank you so much for your method and the way you present it ,so we can understand it.
If your system can help this old Man(76) ,it will work for anyone ,who is willing to put in a little work.

Thanks Again

Jim [rofl][rofl]
Ross
Really great round Jim [wink].  That is something to pat yourself on the back for ... that you struggled right off, but got back on!  You trusted your "routine*".  Your routine is really all you have when you're out on the course (your protective bubble).  That is not the time to try new things.  There will be plenty of time after the round to analyze.  All those saves really built future confidence.  26 putts is awesome ... especially if you had a lot of short 2-4' putts ... would mean your recovery shots around the green where in close (a very big key).

Thank you for the nice comments Jim... keep up the good work!

* Your routine should have a few positive productive thoughts like ... Picking an alignment spot in front of the ball ... Checking your elbows, grip ... Looking at the target and visualizing a backswing and downswing "keyword" like (Shoulders ... Hips) ... then look back at the ball and "GO" ... (Shoulders ... Hips).  The routine helps keep you in the "moment" and block out distractions and any negative self talk.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Silky1
Thanks Ross ,
Yes ,your chipping method is great.Gripping down to the steel just gives me a feeling of confidence
and much better control of the strike.
I am working on your 2 part routine and I feel that will help keep me in the moment so I don't
allow the hands to take over on the downswing.

You are the best kept secret in golf. I am not sure if that is by your design or people resisting
your method because it is not what we see on T.V.(Except Stricker). Now when I watch the P.G.A.tour
it is apparent to me that the Pro's only play well when they seem to be at the top of their game and miss the cut , when they are not.  Your method is so "Much" more consistent.

Keep up the great work.

Jim
Ross
As you work on around the green, try to use your SW to produce different results from the same location.  Close the face a bit (before you grip), for a lower, running shot.  Then, open it a bit for a higher soft landing with less run.  This will help develop touch and the ability to visualize and choose the "highest percentage" option.  My rule of thumb ... get to the green and let it roll, as if you were tossing the ball underhand.  Now, you don't want to roll across the entire green, or up and down over a couple of tiers, but find a nice landing spot that will allow for some roll and break.

Thanks again for the nice comments Jim.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Silky1
Hi Ross,
Well I have been updating you with the good info but today it is not good.In fact I took a Hugh step backward and didn't want to post but maybe it will benefit someone else.I have been playing well and my confidence was thru the roof so when I was asked to play with a club
Champion at the course ,I jumped at it.I have been playing from the whites(6500 yds.and 131 slope)...Well of course ,he wants to play the blues and being the competitor ,that I am ,I said sure I will play the blues.You can see where this is going.No 76 year old in his right mind
needs to be on the blues especially this one.
To make a long story short ,I shot 42 front ,49 back for 91.Last 6 holes in rain and I finished bogey,triple bogey and bogey.I felt the urge for more distance and reverted to the old handsy swing . Needless to say I have totally lost what confidence and swing that I had.My advice to everyone is stay with what you are working on until you are ready to handle some pressure with your new swing.I am sorry for the length of this update and wish that it was more positive but maybe someone will heed the warning and think with their brain instead of their ego.[bawl][bawl]
Ross
First, this method comes back quickly.  Just shorten your backswing and take some short shots to get your hands back out.  Focus on the Large Muscles... Shoulders... Body.  Or even a few drills.

We refer to this as a "Comfort Zone Adjustment".  There were many reasons (you just described) for you to be "out of your comfort zone".  This is when your "routine"* is the only thing you have out there.  Every golfer gets out of their comfort zone at times.  Some do better (very rare), or do better to a certain point (then crack), but most start choking with some aspect of the game.

More experienced golfers that have experienced what you did, try to keep in there comfort zone... like, there is nothing wrong with you playing the "Whites" or "Senior Tees", and the other golfer play the "Blues".

Don't add pressure with betting if you don't know who, or what you're up against.

Tell yourself ... "Play my game"

* If you practice your routine and can follow your routine to a "T", you have a better chance of holding up under the gun or under pressure.  Don't rush or change your routine under pressure.... TRUST IT!

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Silky1
Great Advice, Ross.  I know now, but my ego "Go kick some butt", didn't  because I had always been able to respond, but because your system was still new to me, I failed to realize that I was adding pressure to a new system that 6 months from now would have responded great but was just not ready today.
You are absolutely correct about staying in my routine.  I was able to do that for the first 7 holes (2 over), but having longer second shots than normal finally got me and I forgot every thing, but trying to hit it too hard.

Thanks for you recommendations of going back to drills to restore some confidence.  It is really important for you and other members to understand that it was not your system that failed, but my putting the cart before the horse.  By the way if your chipping and putting system didn't work as well as it did, it would have been a whole lot worse.  Rest assure Jimmie will ride again.
Ross
This is good info Jim!  We all go through this ... more than once (in my case) [wink].

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
RAM

Good post Jim. It is important to share the setbacks as well as the success stories. I went thru a similar experience this past Sunday. Lost a couple of shots and the lost the confidence. Had been able to self correct in previous rounds, but this time I just lost it. Went to the range after the round and it still was gone. Just pressing too much, thinking too much, just like the "old days" before I discovered Ross. The next day I worked on some drills and hit a few off my mat into a net and it felt good again. Played the next day and split the fairways with no effort. I have been using the Ross method for 2 seasons now and really have had only this one serious setback, so to all out there, resist the urge to go back to the old swing, it will only set you back. You may get lucky and hit a few bombs and wonder why you switched, but soon you will be back in the same old rut, fat, thin and crooked. Golf is a difficult game and sometimes you will just have a bad day.

Silky1
Hi Ram
Thanks for your comments.It helps to know that it does happen to others(Not that I want it to )but the
fact it's not the end of the world.
Ram,right now I don't want to swing a club for fear that my game is completely gone. You words will help me get back up and go.
It is great to know that you have been using the Ross method for two years and believe in it.
I love your advice to resist the urge to go back , because we have found the BEST way to play golf but sometimes our egos get in the way and then in my case I realized that I was over my head so I totally lost it and tried to keep up with the younger guys by trying to kill every shot.Valuable lesson learned and I hope both our comments will help some other members if this occurs to them.

Ram,I really appreciate you words of encouragement.

Thanks again

Jim

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.