Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
Anthony225
Ross,
I understand that you favor pitching over chips. Why is that? Do you pitch and chip with different clubs near the green to get more or less roll? Or do you simply use a sandwedge or lob wedge to land close to the flag? I would like to know what approach you recommend for getting close to the flag consistently. Thanks!
Ross
95% of the time I use SW (56°) for any shot needed.  Just by opening or closing the face prior to gripping, I can have the shot run or stop (hook or cut too to offset slope).  If I need it to stop it, I hit a shot that drops and use gravity to stop it, (never spin).  I also do not own a lob (no reason).  I think the bread and butter shot around the green is just like tossing the ball.  You land the ball and a spot (accommodating the break) and let it roll up and into the hole.  You need to visualize the entire trip of the ball.

The reason I prefer the pitch shot vs. a chip shot is, it is much more reliable once learned.  A chip shot only uses the shoulders (like a putt) and I don't like what happens to the arms/club right after impact on a chip shot.  The shoulders are being restricted just after impact (and can only go so far), and the club head also raises up just after impact and can add loft or cause problems (sculled shots).  The pitch shot on the other hand is a mini version of our golf swing.  It is what we've been doing all day long.  Also, it uses the Large Muscles in a rotation motion that I believe is the most reliable under pressure.  You can just trap the ball with the body mass for a more solid impact than the chip.  Also easier to hit the sweet spot.

Practice, practice, practice a pitch only ... no wrist change during the shot.  Let the body only bring the arms/club back into the ball and around to the left (right hander).  No help with hands or arms... body only.  You'll get awesome!  Then you just have to practice dropping that ball on your landing spot, at the speed needed, to have it continue to roll up and stop at the hole.  Again, visualize the whole trip... leaving the club face... up in the air ... the descent angle of impact... the speed it impacts the green ... and see it roll to the hole.  If you see it in your mind, you'll do it.[wink]

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Anthony225
Ross wrote:
95% of the time I use SW (56°) for any shot needed.  Just by opening or closing the face prior to gripping, I can have the shot run or stop (hook or cut too to offset slope).  If I need it to stop it, I hit a shot that drops and use gravity to stop it, (never spin).  I also do not own a lob (no reason).  I think the bread and butter shot around the green is just like tossing the ball.  You land the ball and a spot (accommodating the break) and let it roll up and into the hole.  You need to visualize the entire trip of the ball.

The reason I prefer the pitch shot vs. a chip shot is, it is much more reliable once learned.  A chip shot only uses the shoulders (like a putt) and I don't like what happens to the arms/club right after impact on a chip shot.  The shoulders are being restricted just after impact (and can only go so far), and the club head also raises up just after impact and can add loft or cause problems (sculled shots).  The pitch shot on the other hand is a mini version of our golf swing.  It is what we've been doing all day long.  Also, it uses the Large Muscles in a rotation motion that I believe is the most reliable under pressure.  You can just trap the ball with the body mass for a more solid impact than the chip.  Also easier to hit the sweet spot.

Practice, practice, practice a pitch only ... no wrist change during the shot.  Let the body only bring the arms/club back into the ball and around to the left (right hander).  No help with hands or arms... body only.  You'll get awesome!  Then you just have to practice dropping that ball on your landing spot, at the speed needed, to have it continue to roll up and stop at the hole.  Again, visualize the whole trip... leaving the club face... up in the air ... the descent angle of impact... the speed it impacts the green ... and see it roll to the hole.  If you see it in your mind, you'll do it.[wink]
Anthony225
Thanks for the response. I asked because I have heard a lot of instruction saying to get the ball down and rolling as soon as possible at the green. Like targeting a spot 3ft onto the green using different clubs according to the distance to the hole. Those instructions say it's more consistent to roll the ball to the hole on a chip or short pitch vs trying to be pinpoint accurate with a longer ball flight toward the hole.
Ross
I agree about getting the ball on the green and let it roll... to a point.  Again, you want the feeling of "toss".  You don't want to just get on the green and try to roll up a tier vs. toss the ball to the top of the tier.  It will always come down to percentages.  You also don't want to hit a high shot when it is not needed.  Low and roll is usually better.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.