Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
Hackcity65
I am a golfer of 18 years.Had lots of lessons with very little success.I did work on my instructors advice for long periods of time before realizing it was not working.I am capable of shooting anywhere from 75 to 110.I truly can experience a 25 shot difference from one day to another.That is how "timing dependent"my swing is.

I contacted Ross a few weeks ago and received my first full analysis yesterday.I cannot say that I am excited about this method because it seems very unorthodox.I am not sure I will stick with it to be honest...BUT....I am going to give it a try.I will start very small at the advice of Ross.Basically hitting shots with short irons from waist high.I have done the large muscles drill many times and it feels quite contorted to resist with the lower body instead letting the hips rotate freely like I am used to.

One thing that is a bit confusing to me is how Ross advocates zero wrist hinge on full swings and yet when I watch him in videos making full swings he seems to have a bent right arm and some wrist hinge.Are my eyes playing tricks on me?Anybody have any input as to my thoughts here?Thanks,John
Ross
First, my method is unorthodox, because there are many "bugs" with traditional golf instruction.  Many of the problems golfers have with consistent ball striking comes from too many levers and movement... hence  "Move Less... Get Good".

The resisting with the lower body, was discovered many years ago (by other people).  Then it was called "The X-Factor".  It creates power (once learned and done correctly).  It was also discovered in Ben Hogan's swing by Carl Lohren (One Move to Better Golf).  Also, if the hips rotate freely, there is no windup between the shoulders and hips, and usually creates sliding off the ball. 

Here is some useful info on why you might see some hinging in some older videos vs. why I now teach that hinging is unnecessary once you learn to setup correctly and turn and trap the ball with the body's rotation.   http://duplessisgolf.com/blog/to-hinge-or-not-to-hinge/

Changing muscle memory is difficult and many struggle with it.  It takes Time, Effort and Discipline. 

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Hackcity65
Well,I am not going to worry about full swings for now.Going to keep it simple with waist high swings.After all,if I can't do your method with short swings,how could I expect to do it with longer swings?,Common sense the way I see it.
Ross
Yes, kind of like learning to walk again, but you'll be running before you know it.  Once you learn this short shot and get the idea of "trapping" the ball (as you turn),  you'll have an awesome pitch shot around the greens and a fall back if you start losing your full swing.

Another thing with this method... once learned, not much can go wrong.  You can get back on board quickly.  It's usually from not turning completely... and that usually leads to using the hands (old habit), so you take a few swings rotating and holding a solid impact shape... reminding the body of what you "want to do"...and start hitting solid again.

Look at how many "practice" swings great players take just before taking a crucial shot.  They're "recalling" and "reminding" the body of a previous time they took that shot.  Then they step up and "do" what they were just practicing... they "trust" it.

The body is not a machine and needs to be trained and reminded.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Hackcity65
I have really been working on the Large muscles drill a lot throughout the day.It can be done without a club so I do it at work with my arms out in front of me.The lower body resisting in the takeaway is the thing I focus on and have gotten to almost where I can turn my shoulders 90 degrees without moving the lower body one bit.The muscles in my back feel incredibly stretched and torqued!My goal is to have zero hip rotation going back.I want that rubber band stretched to the max almost feeling like it is going to snap in half!

I go back as far as I can with the shoulders and hold the position for several seconds.It is a good way to stretch the muscles I think.
Ross
Awesome ! Just stretch "easy" and "slowly" as to not hurt yourself.  I like the "hold" idea too [wink].

Remember, eventually, the shoulders do turn the hips a little, but getting the shoulders to start first turns into BIG power when you unwind the downswing.  It also sets you up for the correct unwinding sequence... from ground up... like throwing a ball. 

It also works to keep you in place by turning your shoulders vs. sliding and lifting your arms.  You get the "action" / "opposite reaction" that will be "wind"/ "unwind"... good stuff !!

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.