Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
peter
Hi Ross,

I like your method and made improvement by keeping the clubface square.
But when I try to stay behind the ball till impact, I have trouble to hit the ball first and then the turf.
so often hit fat shots that do not sound crisp enough imho, even when I keep 60 pct of my weight on the front foot.
Can you please advice ?

Btw, my balance feels fine using your athletic sitdown-to-the-ball setup.

Best regards,
peter

Ross
Something is off at setup or changing during the swing.  The best thing is for me to look at your swing video and could tell exactly, but for now, Check these 3:

1.  You think you're keeping your weight 60% on the front foot, but at some point you let go and slide some to the back foot and then don't get back in time and hit behind.

2.  You not retaining the wrists setup through impact and flipping or throwing the club head just before impact.

3.  You start to unwind on the downswing, but then your body stops and the arms/club/ hands are taking over.  You want the body's rotation to be pulling the arms/club through impact and around to the left.  This contacts the ball clean and leaves the divot after (as long as the ball is at or just before the bottom of the swing arc).

Again, there are many little nuances that can disrupt the golf swing, so viewing your swing video is best.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Anthony225
I had this problem also. First I had to fix keeping my weight on my front foot. It helps if I take the club back slowly and pause at the top. Another big thing I had to do was maintain my wrist angle both horizontally AND vertically. My wife compared Ross's swing on his trapping video to my swing. She said that his club has a fixed "L" shape throughout the swing but my club straightens out before impact. The club should be about the same angle at impact as it was at address. Basically this caused my hands to pass further away from my body through impact, extend the length of the club before impact, and often hit the ball fat.
peter
Tx Anthony,
That makes sence.
I will try that in the morning.
Today had some success with bracing my right knee in the back and downswing.
Like Ross said, I must be shifting slightly to my right in the downswing.

Furthermore, I am experiencing good results with controlling how deep I place the clubface down.

when I nearly touch the grass, I improve contact .

peter
Hi Ross,

I have kept my weight on left foot and it works much better.
Last year my swing was Stack and Tilt.
But when I took a lesson, because of some inconsistencies, the pro told me that I did not stay enough behind the line. The tilt was to agressive and made me move my head left in my backswing. Because of that, my angle of attack was too steep and the divots too deep.
So I started all over again in an attempt to keep my head still.
Today, keeping my weight left, gives me crispier impact. Since I avoid the tilt (which straightened even my right leg), my angle of attack is shallower which gives me more "time" and more margin of error in respect of the position of the low point.
So I think I am back in business [smile].

Just another thing : for me, keeping my weight left without tilt (s&t), only feels comfortable when I feel pressure in my left quadriceps. That's the way I can keep the weight and center of gravity on the ball and finish with the roll of the feet.

Furthermore, keeping the clubface square does not reduce my distance.

still have issues in the greensidebunker [frown].

Thanks !
Ross
Setup is half the battle.  You don't ever want to be extreme or unnatural.  The feeling is you're "balanced" (not tilted), with slightly more weight on the front.  You want to windup and unwind level and athletic.  We just want to avoid the "slide" to the back foot for consistency. Glad to hear you're improving Peter.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
peter
Hi Ross,

Very excited.
Shoot 92 last week and today 83 (!)  [smile].
I keep my weight on my front foot (keep the squat in my left leg) during entire swing. Like you instructed, resulting in crisp and clean contact. Kept my clubface square and my shots have a little draw pattern.

Thanks a lot Ross.

Peter

Ross
Wow Peter... that is remarkable.  Improving from low 90s to low 80s is a tough area.  Also means many cylinders were firing.  Sometimes when one part of the game improves, it triggers momentum and a heightened "focus" or excitement that spreads to other parts.

There is a subtle way the front leg/foot work on the downswing, to help keep the golfer "level" (through impact), and also help absorb the unwinding.  Those golfers look connected and balanced, and (can hold their finish).  That is also why I do not recommend that "straightening the front leg" (downswing through impact), idea the commentators throw out about some of the players.  These top players can get a bit more distance doing that, and (hopefully) keep the club face square.  The average golfer will hit the ball all over the place or top shots... and may hurt themselves.

Keep up the great work Peter

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Tallguy
Played Better, Today, Ross. "84".  First time in last 2 months I broke 85 thanks to your teaching!  Still hitting a few irons thin & fat when I play the ball up off my left heel with every club.  Amazing I hit my fairway woods And Driver well with my weight on my left leg & playing the ball off my left heel, but I'm having trouble with my 7, 8, 9 irons with this method.  Wedges & 1/2 wedges are good.  Any ideas? Do you think I could be shifting my weight slightly to my right side?  I'm trying to key on your "Ant-sway" drill & keep my right foot "Rolled In".  Any other ideas to solve this?  Thanks!
Ross
You need to send a couple swing videos for an analysis.  Then I can tell you exactly what is up with your swing.  It is kind of like asking your doctor  "my stomach hurts" ... what is it?  You don't have to guess, when I can tell you what is happening and how to fix it.  It will take practice to establish muscle memory once you know.  Long lasting results with any swing change(s) takes weeks and months of grooving with drills and practice.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Ross
The Large Muscles Drill helps this.  The very first move on that drill is to uses the shoulders ONLY, to move the arms/club first.  This is like a "head start" for the shoulders.  Then, a little bit later, the hips will be turned (not slide or move lateral), via the shoulders turning them.  They do not move or turn on their own.  If you allow the hips to move themselves, they generally want to slide to the back foot ... a no, no  [nono]

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
peter
Hi Ross,

Leaving the pure stack and tilt method behind me and enjoying your method, I found it a little difficult to produce crisp iron shots. One reason must be : keeping the right knee flex and resist on the take away. ( s&t requires a straight right knee on the top of the backswing which pushes your c.o.g. towards the target.. huge divots... etc)

Just had an epiphany : I perform the shoulder pause hips exercise a little different, namely : instead of pushing with the left shoulder around the spine, now I pull with my right shoulder (while keeping my weight on my front foot).

In this pulling process, my breast turns much easier in a barrel.
Consequently, while turning my hips to the target, the club precisely ’falls’ under my left hip socket.

Is this the right way to go Ross ?

Many thanks,

Peter
Ross
Yes, pulling the back shoulder around your spine works too.  A big key to freedom in the shoulder turn on the backswing is, the correct athletic setup.  The correct setup (tilt), is a bit taller than most think.  If you've bent over out of balance, your shoulders will feel bound up. 

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
DaveF
Hi Ross,
Re: Trapping Video, it seems that the shoulders turn more level in the backswing, but more vertically on the downswing? In the backswing the left shoulder comes under the chin, whereas it appears your right shoulder is much further away from the chin through impact?
I bring this up because I'm finding I free up my shoulder turn when i'm more level in the backswing, but get the desired ball trapping (with no hands or arms) impact with a bit more right shoulder down movement, but more so with mid to short irons. If it helps, I have had much improved contact with long irons to driver, but it wasn't translating to shorter clubs. Rather a lot of thin shots with irons or worse. It just seems to free up my entire downswing and improve my balance if I think "right knee/turn hips & pull right shoulder down and through".

Background: I realized that with the shorter clubs I wasn't "sitting down" to the ball enough, but rather leaning forward (from the hips), which was messing up my shoulder turn.
Ross
Your ..."right knee/turn hips & pull right shoulder down and through", scares me a little if you are actively moving your right (back) shoulder vs. having it "unwound" via the body's rotation. 

We don't want to start unwinding from top down.... or, have the shoulders wind up around the spine, then change directions and the back shoulder moves "down".  The shoulders control the backswing winding around the spine ... then they're unwound by the body's rotation.

Now, it may look like the back shoulder moves down, but how it moves on the downswing, should be "passive"... just like throwing a ball... it's a total body unwinding move.  On the downswing, the shoulders don't pass the hips, until the hips can not turn any more.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.