Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
twild
Does anything change regarding putting setup if one choses left hand low in the putting grip (right handed golfer)?

Tom
Ross
No and that's great if it helps you keep from flipping.  The key is to have the shoulders and body lines parallel and naturally lined up.  This is very easy when the club/arms are hanging and not touching the ground.  Then, with those aligned, the putter club face must be perpendicular (90 degrees) to the shoulders/body lines.  With the arms/club hanging right under the shoulders, if you use only your front shoulder to push down, then pull up... you'll get a straight back and through path with a perfectly square club face.  This is what we want.  Then just keep all that together and line it up, don't let anything but the shoulders move and you'll enjoy great putting.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Rich_P
Ross, I had no idea that you had worked with Martin Kaymer on his putting stroke. [smile]

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/golf-fix-putting-your-lead-shoulder-kaymer/?cid=twitter-fix-v-putting-like-kaymer-042515
Ross
I didn't work with Martin Kaymer, but he might have seen my instruction on line.

Use the front shoulder to:  Push Down, Pull Up keeps the shoulders moving the arms straight back and straight through*.  Many golfers, on the forward stroke, move the front shoulder behind them slightly vs. up and that pulls the putt.  Up is awesome.

I's all good... I'm flattered.  Many of these guys on TV, have use my terms/ideas and instruction over the years, I gave up keeping track. 

All I know was there were only 2 of us PGA Golf Instructors (that I could find) online back in 2004 (2 years before YouTube).  I also started a Golf Instruction Blog and Forums back then (forums have been on and off due to severe repeated hacking).  Then once YouTube started, I added many videos there immediately, and at duplessisgolf.com.  Then, when iTunes hit developed 12 apps there with my instruction.  My ideas have been around a very long time.  I've had a couple influences, but no one I know back then, ever taught ... playing the ball forward,  keeping the weight forward, using the body's rotation through impact as an athletic source for repeatable contact... or, setting up with a perfect impact square face and using only Large Muscles to take the arms/club to the top (with out arm lift, wrist hinge, redirect to some arbitrary path etc.)... essentially simplifying the backswing to make it repeatable.  These are some of my discoveries I'm sure will change the golf swing in the future.... or now.

Thanks Rich_P

* Some of the putting concepts I use are from Dave Pelz.  Arms hanging under shoulders, use the shoulders, sweet spot (he has awesome ideas).

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Rich_P
The push down/pull up putting stroke has sure helped my game.  That is why this Golf Channel video caught my attention.  Thanks for all you do Ross!
Ross
Great Rich_P.  Don't know if you saw any of the posts from Dan, but he has been putting setting with a little gap... wrists set and loving it!.  It takes focus off of the club head/ball and really promotes the the upper cut angle of attack for pure end over end rolling.  You do want the ball a little forward of the bottom of the arc.  You can find this easy when you've set the wrists and let the arms/club hang (just off of the ground).  The ball is just about the front foot instep in most cases.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Ross
Hi DaveF. 

Isn't that a great feeling to have the lower body solid as a rock*... arms/club hanging under the shoulders... wrists set... face square to the path... knowing all you have to do is use the front shoulder to "push down, the pull up" (straight up, not out or behind).  You almost can use the body like a "machine" with this technique.  Nothing can break down (unless gravity** changes all of a sudden).

* Oh, the perk once the lower body is solid... you don't have to worry about moving your head, because the solid lower body will keep it in place.  FYI... I think "pinching" the knees towards each other and "holding" during the stroke is the easiest way to stay solid!!

** Since the arms/club are hanging, gravity pulls them straight down,... and as long as only the shoulders move straight down and straight up, you will have a perfect "straight back and straight through" path.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.