Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
Ed_Blackburn1
Just got back from playing 9 and shooting a 43 which is great for me. Today it was really windy and since it is early spring here in NC the fairways are somewhat sparse on the grass coverage and you can often see lots of dirt with some grass. Anyway todays main problem was getting height on the irons or figuring other ways to get shots onto the greens. Even my short irons were not getting their usual height. I ended up using less loft and rolling the shots on to the greens. This worked ok but I was wondering Ross what you would suggest for these conditions. Is there a way to get better height with the irons from these tight lies?

Lets be clear this is a much better problem to be worried about than just trying to make consistent contact which is where I was before I started using the Ross method.

So many thanks Ross.[biggrin]

Ed
Ross
I'd first say to check your ball position to make sure it hasn't crept back in your stance.  You want to meet the ball just before the bottom of the swing arc. That spot is generally more forward than golfers think.  This is because we are rotating through impact, so our hips will be partially turned at impact, which moves the bottom of the swing arc forward slightly.  This is usually about the front hip socket.

A tight lie does not mean anything different with my method.  If you rotate "level", and don't flip through impact, you can pick the ball off of cement.  

The reason I say this is, if you think you need extra grass to help get the ball higher, it might be because there's still some "flip" in your swing through impact... or, you might not be staying "level" during the swing.  Some golfers let their chest "drop" during the backswing, which can lead to the need to "raise" back up during the downswing or they'll hit "fat" shots.  This can also (psychologically) give the golfer confidence when there is more grass, because they need that larger "margin of error" for their problem.

I'm not sure this helped you much, but I thought was worth mentioning.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Ed_Blackburn1
Thanks Ross, that is probably it. I latched on to the tight lie because I was hitting well at the range where there was more grass. Probably was more of a breakdown with one of the things you mentioned like a bit of flip or not staying level,
Ed_Blackburn1
I am heading to the range today to work on irons, I was planning on focusing on the stop rotate drill to address possible flipping. What is the best drill for making sure chest stays level?
Ross
I don't have a Drill specifically to help with keeping your chest level, because if you've setup "athletically", your chest (upper body), should feel like it is balanced within the "lower body".  It is kind of like how you stand or walk... you don't have to worry about keeping your upper body from falling forward or backwards... it just stays centered.  Now, obviously the golf swing setup is a bit different, but not much once you learn how to keep your setup "athletic".  

As you sit down, the chest moves forward and down a little, directly proportionatly to the amount your rear moves out, to KEEP YOU CENTERED AND BALANCED within yourself.  This is a solid, weight "straight down" (not on toes or heels) feeling.  This setup helps keep your chest in place during the swing.  All you have to do is stay balanced and centered.  This happens more naturally, because the body is use to being in balance.

It is when you setup "out-of-balance", that the body tries to "right itself" during the swing to "find balance".  That's why you feel the urge to stand up or shift back... the body is looking for "center".

Hard to explain, much easier to do when you just trust your body, and let it help you setup centered.  Any contrived movements at setup will let you down (or you'll fight them), during the swing.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Ed_Blackburn1
Well as usual you were right on Ross. Doing the stop and rotate drill I am now hitting nice high iron shots right off the dirt![biggrin]
Ross
I usually don't discuss other golfers, but, if you were watching yesterday (Sat at the Masters),  Jordan missed the same shot (short pitch) 3 times because he did not rotate.  He tried to use his shoulders/arms/hands.  You could see it coming on all the disconnected practice swings.  If he had just let his body mass rotate slightly to move the ball, he would not have come up short 3 times and would not have flipped slightly.  The shoulders, arms, hands, can't get the job done as easy as a little body rotation... and, the body rotation controls distance better.  You just learned this lesson... WTG !!! [wink]

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.