Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
Rich_P
Can you talk more about the back (right) elbow.  I thought it was good to keep it attached to the right hip during the swing.  I find that doing so cause a more in to out swing.  If the back elbow gets away from the body I tend to hit across the ball especially with the fairway woods.  You hear often about staying connected to the body which to me means keeping the back elbow close in.  What is the downfall of doing this in the swing?
Ross
It does not stay attached to the back hip.  It does bend slightly, but stays close to the front elbow.  The most important position for the back elbow is on the downswing it slightly "leads" the hands BACK IN FRONT OF THE BACK HIP.  This is controlled by the body.  The arms do not move on their own.  They do not help the downswing or through impact.  The body brings the arms/club back down (elbows or back elbow returns in front of the back hip) and around to the left.  Do not try to use the arms to pull themselves down in to the position I'm talking about.  This just takes a little practice and is done with short shots.  One of the bigest reasons golfers have trouble with this is... their backswing is waaaaaaay too long and they can't get back.  A long (disconnected) backswing only gets you in trouble, it does not add distance at all.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.