Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
DaveF Show full post »
Ross
That is correct.  Many times if you feel the urge to raise your spine, it might be that you were out of balance to begin with... meaning you bent down to the ball vs. sat down athletically.

If you're in an athletic position, it is much easier to maintain during the swing and there is no real urge to raise up.  That urge is the body telling you, it does not like being bent over out of balance, and is trying to "right" itself... or get back into balance.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
DaveF
I'm not leaning over, but I'm not totally balanced all the time either. I Saw today I'm dropping my right shoulder at address, which is throwing off my shoulder turn axis and the club comes at the ball from way too far inside resulting in a chain reaction causing heel and hozel shots. I'm doing well at keeping the template, keeping my weight left with a short backswing, and turning on the downswing, but I get in a position at the top where I intuitively sense I'm in a bad position with my shoulders and nothing good is going to happen. Tough for me to address the ball and not have the club head next to the ball!
Ross
If the club head is next to the ball, that makes the back shoulder drop to get over to the ball.  Level shoulders will allow a more level shoulder setup (minus the (R) hand grip lower) differential.

One other thing I noticed... it looks (from the photo) that the ball is too far back in your stance, and that might be a cause for the "I'm not in a good position" feeling you get.... MOVE THE BALL FORWARD... to the instep of the front foot, so you can freely turn into the ball later in the swing.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Anthony225
Dave,
It also looks like your hips aren't turning. Your back knee is folding inwards instead. You can also tell this by your front foot still being flat on the ground. Your front foot should roll to the outside as you move through impact. Back foot should keep 40% pressure on the inside of the foot in till the front foot starts to roll to the outside. The back foot will follow by moving from the inside of the foot to being up on the toe. I recommend you try a few swings focusing on the feeling of pressure under the inside of the back foot and don't let it change until it rolls up to the toes. Ross has a drill for that where you roll your back foot inwards until your back ankle faces the ground. You can also try putting a golf ball under the outside of your back foot. You want no added pressure on the golf ball during the backswing and downswing. Also your left butt cheek should move towards back heels (front heel then back heel) as you rotate on the downswing. Your right hip will then come around towards the target kinda dragging your back knee until it touches your front knee. Ross, please correct me if I'm wrong.
DaveF
Thanks for that. Appreciate it. Like the golf ball drill idea.
DaveF
Update: Back on track. I see I was not sitting down ENOUGH to stay balanced, and also needed to get my chest over my hips more as you mentioned (no leaning over, weight centered). It requires more knee bend and It feels so much more VERTICAL stance-wise compared to my previous instruction. I'd done the "butt on the chair" drill for years, with the "keep your spine angle while you throw your arms through", while clearly disguising a lack of athletic balance. It wasn't disguised at all though on a couple of rounds I played recently, and there's no hiding from "the swing truth" with your method, that's for certain. Cheers to that

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.