Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
Joerog
Hi Ross and everyone else

I stumbled across this website by trying to shorten my swing as the main issues I had were over swinging, trying to move my hands and wrists a lot, and therefore hitting a lot of fat shots which sometimes went 90 degrees out of the toe as I would throw my hands and hips forwards at impact.

I have been reading this forum and watching the videos since Friday and practicing some of the moves in my garden without a ball.

Tonight was the first time i have been able to hit balls properly at the range and I am delighted with the results. It feels so good like I am an elastic band on the backswing. I will no doubt have the odd flaw but so far so good and I will hit another 100 balls tomorrow. The few duff shots I had were either thin shots (low and long) with a pitching wedge (4 times) or a hook when I think I got fired (maybe 5 shots). The rest out of the 100 were either little draws or maybe most strong, but hopefully manageable, draws.

Prior to this, I have been trying all sorts to get what I thought would work, but each time I developed another error and recently have been unhappy with golf. I have nearly been playing two years and am so glad I have found this website as it it is the first way I can see of making the swing consistent.

I am excited to practice again tomorrow and then on the course on Saturday.

Thanks again and I will record my swing once I have bedded it in as I know it is early days.

Joe
Ross
Welcome Joe
Glad to hear you're improving.  Make sure you're setting up with the shaft in line with the front arm and returning that way through impact as you rotate.  If you're not, you may have a bit of a flip (closes the face and can hook or go left).  You can also focus on the back wrist maintaining a "bent in" look to help hold that shaft in line with the front arm through impact.  Hogan used to "supinate" kind of bow out the front wrist which helps hold that shape through impact.   This would help hit a straighter shot of even a slight cut (the preferred shot shape). 

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Joerog
Hi Ross

Thanks for that - I will give it a go tomorrow. It won’t just happen over night but it is great to know exactly what to do, and it makes sense!
Joerog
I forgot to ask if you get many from England here?

I hit a lot of very good 6 iron shots today and the ones I did bad was for not holding the club in line with my lead arm or once or twice letting weight go to my back foot.

Ross
Great!  Yes, have had many Members from England over the years.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Joerog
Hi Ross. I went to practice again today and what really helps me is to feel like the front foot is really driving into the ground as I rotate my shoulders back. I crunched some 7 irons huge distances but wondered if this is a bad move to do? Thanks joe.
Ross
I don't see any problem Joe as long as you're not swaying off the ball.  If something helps you hit solid shots and is repeatable use it.  If other issues start maybe consider removing it.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Joerog
Hi Ross

Another update:

After getting down to 23 for my first handicap, I had a bad spell for a few months and tried all sorts and hadn’t managed to get under 100 strokes in that time. As stated above, I tried various swing changes to try to sort it and then just had no idea at all. Since trying to learn this technique, I have shot 101 (first day trying it), 90 (on a 66 course) and 97 today. I still have a lot to work on but I know roughly where my shots will end up so I can now pretty much take the right side of the course out. Today’s score was worsened by some poor decision making.

I had a comment today about my shaft lean at address, so I know I must have learnt that part of it but the hard part is keeping it through the swing.

Thanks again and I am still planning on sending a video in when I feel I am closer to picking up the technique.

© Copyright 2005-2019 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.