Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
Carlito199

Hi Ross,

I am new to the website but have found the videos very helpful. I have finally managed to get a handle of my driver, thank you.

Had a question though, on a scale of 1-10 what grip pressure would you apply?

thanks,
Karl

Ross
Welcome Carlito199.  Everyone is a little different, but you want to grip at a pressure that will allow you, to keep the shaft in line with the front arm, being supported by the back hand (wrist bent in) through impact.  This will produce a solid golf shot.  The speed and commitment of your rotation through impact, also helps maintain the correct impact position. In other words, if you turn slow or your turn is stopping, the club head will want to flip, or it will be harder to maintain the correct position. On the other hand, if we are accelerating through impact, and the body rotation is dominating, it will be easier to maintain.  We just don't want to hold so lose, that the club head flips through impact.  I hope this helps.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Ron
Ross Just a clarification to your response to Carlito199.You use the phrase "front arms being supported by the back hand (_wrist bent in) through impact". Shouldn't the back hand wrist be slightly bent back (palm toward direction of the ground) through impact?
Ross
Hi Ron
The phrase is not "front arms" (plural), it's "front arm" (singular)... We want to help keep the shaft in line with the "front arm" (with the "back" of the front wrist flat), and the "back" of the back wrist, bends in to help support.  This is kind of hard to explain.  This "shape" is being moved by the body's rotation... so it is moving left (right hander).  It does release eventually, but we want this shape through impact.

Ross

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.