Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
Richard
Hi Ross...had left knee replacement on jan. 8. Prior to that, my game's the best ever with your system. My doc figures april to may when I can resume play...starting easy, with no full swings at first.

I had a PT tell me no more full turn on that new joint...rather disconcerting. I'm leaning towards toeing my left foot out more and stepping thru with my right after impact to ease the torque.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Rick
Ross
I'm not a doctor, but have had many students with both hip and knee replacements that had no issues turning.  I would ask them if there was pain or restricted movement, and most of the time no issues.  You have to make the call.  I would for sure take it easy at first.  I have been surprised over the years at how well most students do after these replacements.  I think pain is the key.  If there's pain stop. 

I think flaring the front foot is a great idea.  It creates more freedom to rotate and is easier on the knee.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Richard
Hello again Ross...well, I'm 11 weeks into my new left knee, I see my doc next week, and have been to the range 3 times in the last 4 days. Taking it REAL easy, hitting only 54º wedge, PW, 8 and 6 irons to "get a feel of it".

The recommendations I've read are to flair out the lead foot (we've discussed this before), hit with a slightly open stance to avoid torquing the knee, and STOP if it hurts. That said...combining those restrictions with your methods don't seem to be too problamatic...but...with the open stance I tend to pull left a bit. It is harder to properly finish my turn, which, I think, is the primary cause of the pulled shots. It is easier to keep my weight on my left side...just have to be careful to not overturn to avoid excess stress on that knee. I DO need to really concentrate on the turn...to the best of my ability..to avoid the dreaded "flip"...and subsequent pull. When I do, the shots are good.

Also with an open stance, I concentrate on keeping my shoulders square...kinda like my old hitting stance in the baseball days.

As of now, I'm hitting "1 club short" but not too concerned as I am swinging pretty easy. I'll wait til after talking with my ortho before pulling out the long sticks...especially the driver. I will say, contact has been pleasantly crisp and consistent, with minimal divot taken...and, for whatever reason, I find it easy to keep my head down, see the impact and divot, and actually know the shot result, before looking up to the ball flight...go figure...

Don't know if any of this makes sense, but would like to hear of your experience with others in my boat and any suggestions you may have to offer. In general, I'm rather pleased with the early results, am taking it REALeasy, and confident all will be well.

Also, I think your system is ideal for my particular circumstances...thanks again.

Rick
Ross
I'm not sure I agree with an open stance.  I do think if you flare the front foot, it is easier on the front knee. 

Ideally, the golf swing's, rotational energy, would partially dissipate into the front foot, that has rolled to the outside of the foot, lifting the soul of the shoe a bit up off the ground (see Phil below).  When this does not happen, you see the front foot of the golfer (Arnie & Patrick Reed examples), spin out to release the energy (not good), more athletic golfers learn early to let that energy go to the outside of the foot (Phil Mickelson great example).  Now, I'm not saying this is for you, and you may be doing this anyway... more so everyone reading know the correct movement.  Not everyone can do this move and make compensations.
 phil.jpg

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Richard
Ok, I got rid of the open stance...figured out how to swing in proper alignment with no torque on the knee. I don't roll the foot ala Phil...wish I could, but, for now, I don't want to push that knee. Maybe a little gun shy, or over protective...but I'll wait til I see the doc next week.

Any hoo...I played my first 9 holes today since the surgury. Took a couple 1st hole mulligans in figuring out the driver...good after that. Ross, your system is terrific for one in my situation!!! The course I played is a fairly short, flat 9 hole, par 36...perfect layout for my situation.

I'm only swinging at maybe 70% to prevent excess stress on the knee, with my lead foot flaired out, and no spikes. After impact I sorta "step thru" with the back foot, taking all twist out of the lead leg.

I have to hit more club than in the past with the controlled, easy swing, but...wow...I think I'm on to something. With that extra measure of control I've NEVER hit such crisp, consistent, straight shots. I shot a 2 over 38...this with missing 2, four-foot putts for par. I gotta keep the ego on the shelf and embrace this concept!!!

Again...this was on an easy course...we'll have to see what happens on my favorite big-boy-tracks, but first time out results were beyond my wildest expectations.

Thanks Ross, Rick
Richard
Hi again Ross. OK...I spoke with my surgeon, and he agreed that playing toed out with my left foot was a good idea. With that, I step through with my right after contact...I also no longer can "post up"on my left knee...I'm told to avoid a twist or torque on that knee. ALSO...I no longer wear spikes...I let my left foot turn on my follow through such that my toes point at my target. I don't know if you can follow that or not, that's about the best I can describe it.

To date I've played 3 rounds, still using your system, albeit with slight modifications to keep that knee "happy". I've lost a little distance with every club, but not enough for any concern...swinging "under control" HAS resulted in greater control and more accuracy. Another benefit is I find it easier to maintain that 60% forward weight control.

I played my first "primo" course last sunday, and came away with an 82...satisfied with that. Had trouble reaching long par 4's in two, but your short game lessons provided several "up 'n downs". I'm getting more comfortable with the tweaks necessary to accommodate the after-market knee. I've replaced my long irons with a 3, 4, and 5 hybrid...which are far easier to consistently hit, with good launch.

Things are looking up...thanks Ross.
Ross
Many, many golfers would love to shoot an 82 Richard WTG!  I think that was a good idea to switch to the hybrids.  Anything that makes the game a bit easier or adds confidence is good!

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.