Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
forum
My back swing is abbreviated to about horizontal level in order to help maintain a locked wrist position and assist in  the synchronized turn. Should I be trying to extend the back swing with some wrist break following the shoulder turn? If so, is there a drill which helps with this.                        Art
Ross
Hi Art
I have written... and we've discussed wrist hinge quit a bit if you search:  Here is one from the blog: http://duplessisgolf.com/blog/to-hinge-or-not-to-hinge/  and there are discussions here in the forums.  You have to decide if there is any benefit for you, to purposely hinge on the backswing.

At least for short shots, you want to know you can NOT hinge (if you choose), so you can learn to hit solid (non flipped) golf shots.  This also makes you learn to rotate and trap the ball.  Don't get me wrong on this... I'm not advocating hinging on full shots... search and you'll learn more.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
forum
Thanks for your feedback. For me to get the club above horizontal on the back swing without wrist hinge,  my right elbow must break down.  Getting that elbow back in position for proper impact has been a problem for me since it doesn't happen automatically with the turn.
Ross
Yes, the back elbow bends a little on the backswing... and the front elbow eventually will bend on the follow through (the arms are not stiff... the elbows just work close together).  The "KEY" is the elbows stay close together and point back at the hips on the downswing through impact.  

If you're having trouble on the downswing with the back elbow, you may have a separation issue or chicken wing type thing going on during the backswing.  Don't confuse the back elbow bending with bending and separating from the front elbow during the backswing... try to keep them close.

You also might watch the Ross Move to learn how the body's rotation, brings the elbows back down in front of the body as you're rotating through impact.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.