Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
EmailsToRoss
Question, in your Square backswing at the point of hinging, do your wrists actually hinge and break, or,  do they remain firm and unhinged.

Tony

Hi Tony
Ideally, no hinge* (not needed, and no benefit, only adds problems).  This is because we setup exactly how we want the club back at impact. 

"Hinging" is for a golf swing that is about to throw the club head at the ball.  Once you hinge, you open the door for many problems.  Hinging changes the club face and the shaft relationship to the front arm, and the chance of getting the club back correctly by impact is very slim. 

We rotate to move the ball, so we can just keep everything how it will be needed at impact…  then use the shoulders on the backswing, then the body’s rotation on the downswing swing for a more repeatable swing.


*I think all my student should practice and "know" they can take a swing without a hinge, using only the large muscles for awesome solid shots.  THEN, if you think you want to put back hinging for some benefit, that is worth the "risk/reward", then do it. Personally, I can not think of any reason to hinge.   Remember, the key to a more consistent golf swing (and game), is having that shaft in line with the front arm and a square club face at IMPACT. 

Ross



RAM
My question is not so much a hinge, but relaxed wrists. I have found that in an attempt to restrict the hinge I freeze the wrists and end up with a dead shot, at least that is the way it feels and it usually is short ( but straight). I know when the wrists are relaxed, they will hinge somewhat on the down swing. Just spit balling here, have not put it into practice yet. Any thoughts?
Ross
If you experience what you call a dead shot, my speculation is it is because you are not winding up correctly and, or, unwinding completely.  The ball only goes as far as your backswing windup (top-down), ... and then the amount of "acceleration" and "completeness" of you commitment on the downswing (from ground-up).  "Relaxing your wrists" allows the club to hinge at some point during the backswing.  That means you'll have to un-hinge somewhere during the downswing*.  That un-hinge for about 80% of golfers, turns in to a "flip" (ball goes a bit farther, but not on line or goes left-right hander)... and for the other 20% that don't un-hinge, a nice "slice" or "shank".

This method (once learned), allows you to keep the ball straight (I think maybe 70% of the battle in the game).  Then if you learn to coil/uncoil correctly, you can hit straight and as long as your body make up can produce (everyone is different and at different stages).  Hitting the ball straight, beats out long every day of the week.

Moral:  You can hinge or relax your wrists and if it works for you do it!  I know the majority of golfers that have active hands during the swing struggle.  That is why I developed a more reliable method that uses large muscles and can produce very Long & Straight shots regularly, not by luck occasionally.

*If the hands/arms actively do something during the backswing, the body stops rotating ... the shoulders stop turning, and you get a weak lifted hinge.  This prevents a correct windup using large muscles.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
hacker73
I don't know if others have experienced this issue, but after getting more relaxed and comfortable with your swing, I found myself frustrated on the range one day with no consistency in direction. One ball would go right and the next one left. So I went home and reviewed your videos and found the one on the fixed wrist. Bingo! Next time on the range, I firmed up the wrist and things straightened out.
Ross
You got it!  That's exactly why I made that drill. 

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.