Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
CoachG
Ross, I'm hitting my 3 wood very solid, very straight, and long, however it stays very low. How do I sweep it and get more height?
Ross
First, solid, straight and long is something everyone would love to have, so we don't want to trade off one of the things you already have just for height.  Now, if you're hitting 3 wood off the ground ... you want to meet the ball, right at the bottom of the swing arc.  This is the usually just below the front shoulder (if you think about the length of your straight arm/club shaft).  If you make contact before the bottom, you will be hitting down on the ball causing lower/delofted flight.  If you make contact after the bottom, you'll make contact more on the upswing, but probably not make solid contact since the ball is on the ground*. 

So, you may need to move the ball a bit forward.  You may need a 3 wood with more loft.  You may have too much front wrist bowed out, causing a delofting action.  All speculation.  FYI, sometimes you can open the face a bit on the 3 wood for more loft, but might get a bit of a cut doing that.

Ross

*Now, if the ball is on a tee, you can play it more forward and hit on the upswing and make solid contact because of the height of the tee.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
CoachG
Thanks Ross! I have been playing my 3wood back a bit in my set-up..... I'll set-up and play it more forward today! I'm now always straight, so straight that now my playing partners are suggesting I should take the club UP to parallel and add a wrist hinge....LOL! No way!!

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.