Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
carlgo
Being really smart, I decided to take up golf at 70. Had a decent background in basketball, thought it would translate...it doesn't. 

This site is a revelation though. In a few backyard net sessions I caught on to it and have vastly more consistency now. I hope to find that the ball will go someplace as well, but we will see when I hit the range and then the courses. 

Everything makes sense, it is all geometry after all, except for the elbows down thing. It really feels awkward with a twisting in my left (lead) wrist, and both hands under on the shaft. The right arm feels fine. The thing is, this sort of convoluted grip actually works! If I pay attention and do it right, it works about every time. The club is squared, no chicken wing topping thing as long as I am also level and hustle through on the turn. And the more twisted under I get, the better the result. 

So, is this something that will in time become natural? Any suggestions or swing thoughts or whatever? Thanks. 
Ross
Hi Carlgo
It sounds like you may have a "grip" issue (the way you are describing it).  Can you take a photo of you gripping a club at setup?... and post it here?  so I can look.

Nothing that works consistently in the golf swing is natural.  This is because the ball is not moving and usually on a non-level lie.  So everything we do is about setting up, and moving the body in a way that can meet the ball based on "it's" position.  That means, not letting the body move all over the place, not letting the arms move anywhere they want, not letting the hands change the club face and shaft angle... wish it was easier.  I will say this,  Time & Effort creates familiarity and repeatability.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
carlgo

I thought I replied to this, but don't see it. Hope it isn't redundant.

I figured it out. I was turning my whole arm to position the elbow and then gripped the club. Now I grip the club in the proper way and then just turn my elbow to the suggested position. Doh. 

This feels better, but will take some time to get used to it and the squeezing of the elbows together in general. It is an interesting and effective technique. 

So, probably don't need to send in a photo of this now, but will undoubtedly do so for some other problem later. Thanks. 

Ross
Great !

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.