Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
Student Question
Hi Ross
I twist my body on the backswing, so that my back is toward the target.  Should I be striving for such a complete and substantial body twist?
Ross
The backswing is not a body twist (per se), it is "THE SHOULDERS" starting and wind from top down. 

Example 1 is... you are 20 yds. from the green, you use only 1/2 shoulder turn (no lower body movement at all) then, just turn through to face the target. 

Example 2 is ... you are hitting Driver.  You start again with the shoulders turning around your spine, and when they can't turn any more, the hips then also turn back just a little to complete the backswing.  Then, the body unwinds the downswing.  The backswing is a winding from top down... not just twisting your body all together to get your back at the target... that over rotates.  The Large Muscles drill video will help with some of this.

Ross

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Jeff_M
Hi Ross,
I'm having a hard time finding out when to turn my hips on the backswing. Your examples on this thread are pretty clear but I've also heard you reference restricting the hips for the first foot to foot and a half of the backswing. I took this to mean after the first foot to foot and a half, you could turn your hips to complete the backswing. To me, it's a tough visualization to have the lower body bring the elbows back in front of the hips for impact if the hips haven't moved at all since setup.
Thanks,
Jeff
Ross

Hi Jeff
What you want to think of is winding from "top down".  Ideally, the shoulders control the whole backswing.  They start first then as they keep turning, they wind up the hips some.  The sets up the potential for the downswing to just unwind.  Now, the downswing unwinds from "ground up".  As you unwind the downswing, the knees/hips/thighs start turning left (right hander) and this unwinding brings the arms back down in front of the of the body.  The back elbow has to get back in front of the back hip or you're in trouble.  I feel the entire core do this.  If you watch the "Large Muscles Drill" and the "Finish Drill", you can see how the body controls the arms on the downswing direction.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.