Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
fcc51
Ross,
What is the key to power, swing speed, in your method to achieve greater distance for driver and irons?
Thanks,
Fred
Ross
If you take some time to read this carefully, you'll see how difficult it really is, to combine all the "factors" it takes to produce quality golf shots.  There are many trade-offs.

First, playing golf is about two things... DIRECTION & DISTANCE.
Second, knowing what your goal for the game is, helps make the decisions about direction & distance.

Now, let's look at the "factors" that make the ball move.

1.  The club face moves the ball.  The club face has a "center of percussion" or (sweet spot) that will maximize impact for the greatest distance.  So, we want the club face to meet the ball through impact, on the sweet spot.

2.  The path (the club face is traveling on at impact) also determines the amount of distance we will get on the ball.  If this path approaches the ball from directly behind the ball, straight through the ball on our target line, we again maximize for the greatest distance.

3.  Now, we can have a perfect path, and meet the sweet spot, but if the "face" is open or closed (to the path), we won't get the direction we want.  We need the face to be square to the path and target line, to get maximum distance and direction.

Okay... now another little known or (if ever) discussed factor that is a very big part of my method is "mass".  Every one talks about club head speed, like it is the "goal" that will produce great distance.  I don't agree.  Consider this:

1.  Traditional golf  downswing... clear the hips (okay they're done), now throw the club head at the ball as hard as you can.  Throwing or Releasing will be accomplished by the hands... so at impact, the only thing still moving is, the golf club, pivoting at your wrists, moving the club head "x" speed.  Note, the radius at this point is only the length of the golf club (since we're flipping).  This type of swing produces the mass of the club head only, traveling at "x".

2.  My method... At impact... ALL of the body mass and golf club, are moving the ball as the body is accelerating.  Also, our radius is almost twice that of traditional method, since we don't flip.  I believe if done correctly, the body and golf club all work as a "sweet spot".  You feel impact across your entire body (not just the hands). 

THE POINT HERE IS... if you were standing and someone ran into you at 20 mph., they'd move you "x".... but, if you were hit by a big semi truck going 20 mph., you'd be moved a lot farther.  The only difference was the mass.

Now, to answer your questions.

My method is not to teach golfers to "Hit the ball Far" (even though you can when done right).  My method is about reliability, consistency, repeatability ,so you can "score".  Using the Large Muscles vs. the hands can accomplish this.  Golf is fun when the ball goes straight.  Don't get me wrong, it can go far too with my method when maximized.

KEY(s) TO POWER

The "keys" to power with my method are:
1.  Athletic Stance.
2.  Shaft in line with the front arm at setup and elbows pointing back at hips close together.
3.  Using only the shoulders to move the arm/club on the backswing (winding from top down).
4.  Resisting with the lower body on the takeaway (to take the slack out of the back muscles), until the shoulders turning, rotate the hips a bit.  THIS MOVE CREATES A TON OF POWER!
5.  Keeping at least 60% (or more) on the forward leg.  This is the anchor to create the potential in #4.  Without this you get a slide lift action that is useless.
6.  Starting the downswing (unwinding from ground up).  I think using the hips/thighs to start is the best.  This move is just like throwing a ball.  The body unwinds.
7.  Accelerating all the way to the finish.  The faster you unwind, the farther the ball goes.  This is not just unwinding back to the ball... this is commitment to completely unwind to face the target.
8.  More of a side effect of a powerful swing... at the finish, you are totally balanced, facing left of the target, with the weight on the outside of your front foot.  If you fall towards the back foot... you flipped (not good).

Again, ideally, at impact, ALL of the body is moving the ball, shaft still in line with the front arm, front wrist flat (or bowed out a bit), back wrist bent in a bit supporting, elbows still close (pointing back at hips), head still in the setup position, until the back shoulder brings it out and up.

Sorry, I don't do golf tips like "grip it an rip it" and it will go far.  There is no one trick, to hitting far and straight.  The more of these factors that you can get working together, the farther the ball will travel.  This is a method and those that put in the time & effort will improve.  The drills are the key to my method.  They teach your body how to move.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
peter
Hi Ross,

Always a pleasure to read your extended answers.

I feel I can hit farther when I can relax the muscles in my right arm and hand.

My left hand can use some pressure to ensure I keep the clubface square (last 3 fingers).

Does that make sense ?

So my point is that loosening up can provide distance as oppose to swing tightly.

Kind regards,
peter
Ross
If you're saying, the front wrist can hold the shape, great, as long as that back hand is not helping flip the club head some.  You will know by taking a video of swing and look at impact or just after and there should be a straight line of the front arm and shaft and a "flat to slightly bowed out" front wrist.

I am not ever saying "swing tightly", it is about not letting the wrist shape from setup* change through impact.  We want the body's rotation, pulling or dragging, the arms/club around to the left (right hander).  Now, the arms/club are not behind the body, they're back in front, but the body unwinding, is doing all the work.

* You want to simulate at setup, how you will be at impact... that simple.  You setup how you want to be back at impact and just let the body do the work.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Tallguy
Ross:  I love your method for accuracy & crisp contact with the half pitches & chips.  I, too, am struggling with distance.  When I try to "Unwind" faster in the downswing, I don't make solid contact.  How do I increase my speed & distance?  Which drills do you recommend to accomplish this?  I can hit perfect 20 yd. pitches all day long, but I only hit my Drive 200 yds.  Help!  Thanks!
Ross
If you read back a few posts, I explain all the factors that make up the term "distance".  Depending on what aspects of my method are missing in your swing and your body "type" and ability, will also determine what you'd need to work on.  Any part that is missing or needs work, will take weeks to months to develop. There is a lot of information in the videos and they need to be viewed many times to absorb all that's there.  As a beginner they'll "ring" one way, then after you've put in practice time (at least weeks), and watch the lesson videos again, they will have a different message "so to speak".  You will learn something evey day you practice and you body will learn to "maximize" elements of the method.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
hacker73
Tallguy: I'm actually getting more distance using the "Ross" swing. Initially that wasn't the case because I was swinging about 3/4 just to get the hang of it. But practicing now for a few weeks, I have found if I focus on keeping my arms/hands still and turning with a quicker hip rotation that I can get good distance. I have also focused on balance probably more on my swing than I have in the past. I've had several 250+ drives and 200 yard fairway wood shots. I think I get more consistent center contact by reducing the timing variables in the swing which will help me get the most distance out of my swing.

Where I have been struggling is on the short game around the green. Too many yips on my chips [smile] Plus too many three putts! I haven't been working on that as much, and that has been killing my scoring. I've been in the low and mid 90's, but I think I could knock of 10 strokes easy by improving my short game. I've been watching the short game videos this week (rainy weather has kept me from being outside).
Tallguy
Thanks, Ross.  How do you progress from 1/2 swings to solid full swings?  Do the drills very slowly or what?  Any "Particular" Drill I should concentrate on?  I'm willing to put in the time, but I'm 63 years old & want to improve as quickly as possible.  I appreciate all your input.
Ross
Great hacker73.  You are absolutely right on picking up 10 shot quickly around the green.  Boy, if I can see what you're doing, we can fix it fast! and keep it.  You've got to be using your hands (both chipping and putting).  Once you can rely only on the shoulders for a short pitch, you can lay that ball down right on your spot, on your line, at the ideal speed to end by or in the cup.  Once you can setup correctly, arms hanging (club head off the ground), fixed wrists... use only your front shoulder (nothing else moves), you'll make so many putts... and the lag put is very controllable.  Watch my short game and putting lesson videos.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Ross
Tallguy... you can use many different clubs to practice the drills.  You'll learn a lot.  As you get comfortable, you just lengthen the backswing (shoulders only) and you can turn through at different accelerations (slow, med, fast).  Again, the distance comes, when you can start the shoulders first (resisting with the lower body), until the shoulders can't turn any more and the shoulders have turned the hips a little (no slide), then turn as fast as you can through impact.  Remember, this comes in time and should be a "building" process.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Tallguy
Ross:  I'm hitting the driver very solid, now, but extremely high & still only around 200 yds. carry.  Do you still recommend playing the ball 4" ahead of my left foot or should I move it back to inside the left heel?  Thanks!
Ross
The Driver Lesson Video is not a "drill" or a "temporary" ball position trying to learn something.  If you listen to the Driver video, you'll hear why the ball "should" be played 4" outside the front foot due to "geometry".  4" outside the front foot is "about" where the average golfer, making correct contact, would maximize launch angle for greatest distance and roll.

Now, if you hit too high, speculation would say:
1.  The loft of the club face you use, is too high for your swing (due to effective loft*).  Simple terms... you hit a 10° driver and would get 10° if you hit at the bottom of the swing arc, but since we make impact later (in the upswing-video explains why), your impact is like 13°.  So your logical thinking is, move the ball back so we get 10°, but playing the ball back with Driver causes many issues (too many to discuss here).

2.  You are flipping... or essentially, the back of your front wrist at impact is bent in (should be flat or bowed out a bit).  If you've flipped, you've added loft (and probably change face angle right/left too).

If you send videos for analysis, then I can dial in on why you hit too high for your swing.

*Effective Loft, is basically, (in Ross' words)... The combined angles of the loft of the club face, and the angle created by the point of impact (in the "upswing arc"), and the ground. You also must take into account shaft flex and whether the shaft had released or was lagging.  All these (and possibly more smaller influences), add up to "effective loft"

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
hacker73
Ross wrote:
Great hacker73.  You are absolutely right on picking up 10 shot quickly around the green.  Boy, if I can see what you're doing, we can fix it fast! and keep it.  You've got to be using your hands (both chipping and putting).  Once you can rely only on the shoulders for a short pitch, you can lay that ball down right on your spot, on your line, at the ideal speed to end by or in the cup.  Once you can setup correctly, arms hanging (club head off the ground), fixed wrists... use only your front shoulder (nothing else moves), you'll make so many putts... and the lag put is very controllable.  Watch my short game and putting lesson videos.

Ross: I joined your membership and reviewed the short game videos last week and spent quite a bit of time on the practice green before my most recent round. I definitely fared better around the greens! Progress! I focused on keeping my hands/wrist still and only using my shoulders on putting and used the large muscle turn on my pitching. My distance control on my pitches could use a little work, but I was making solid contact with no "yips" or chunks! Only one 3-putt hole (first hole) and 1 two-chip hole (didn't follow through in thick grass) plus 5 one putt holes left me with an 86.
Ross
Wonderful ... great job improving! Not sure if you noticed, Rory's short shots around the green, but when his hands get back to impact, that shaft is in line with the front arm and he "holds" that perfect shape through impact, for solid, repeatable shots.  This is how he hits his line every time, and hits his landing spot, and gets the anticipated roll to finish at the hole.  If you can hit the sweet spot with a square club face, anyone can improve.  My method using the Large Muscles and fixed wrists, can give you this confidence too.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.