Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
scoobance
Hello

I have been reading through the forums and do not see the grip described in detail. Is there a preferred grip to use with your method? I have been using a very strong grip with four knuckles showing on the left hand.

Thank You
Ross
With traditional golf instruction, grip is very important because the hands are used to throw the club head.  Since we don't use the hands, you should have no problem using the grip you are used to.  It is important that the pad below the little finger, on the front (left right hander) hand, is on top of the grip/shaft... not to the side.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Dan
Hi Ross,
I think even though you have used an interlocking grip for a long time you don't suggest one grip style over another. However, I have decided to give the interlock a try and have found I am able to more naturally keep the club head outside my hands all the way to the top of the backswing. I can also hold my wrist position all the way as I turn. I'm learning to "drag" the club through as I turn and not hit at the ball - that's one of my goals. With all this I had three drives today that went 250 yds., which is good for me. The only drawback is my pinkie finger is sore from using the new grip - a small price to pay for all the good things happening. I'll send you a video soon. Next is to hear more about your new putting ideas.

Thanks,
Dan
Ross
Yay, great Dan !  You know, I bounce around with grips from time to time and can use all 3 (Interlock, Vardon and 10 finger).  Since we're holding the shape, as long as I don't change it (and just turn) all is good.  I'm finding 10 finger is the easiest on my "joints".  They've taken a lot over the years.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
tincup
Thank you for discussing, and using, the three types of grips, overlap, interlock, and ten finger. Do you have a recommendation as to strength of, particularly, the left hand ; neutral, two, three, or four knuckles showing ? Seems that a strong grip would minimize any arm/hand rotation and would make it easier to keep a firm wrist throughout the back and forward swing.
Any thoughts or insights would be most welcome. With the cold temps and snow on the ground I can only experiment indoors. Even the nearest golf dome took a beating and is now closed.

Thank you,

Ross
Usually when you get the pad behind the "little finger" on top of the shaft, it kind of "dictates" how that hand should be on the club.  You can usually just put the club out in front of you, with the club face square... you can get the club head to "balance" holding just with the front arm.  Everyone is different and have to experiment.

One other point is the front elbow... if you get it pointing down(ish), which is kind of how it needs to be, so it can point back at the hip... it too dictates how the front hand sits on the shaft.  You don't want the grip so strong it points your elbow at the target.

Hope these help some.  You want your grip comfortable and repeatable... not contrived.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.