Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more
Anthony225
Ross,
When you say to use the back leg as a brace to support rotation, what does that mean? I've seen it mentioned a couple times in the forum and I am not completely sure about what it means or how this is accomplished since we don't shift any weight to the back foot.
Ross
On the backswing we are winding from Top/Down.  The shoulders move first and start the winding.  The back leg with the knee more to the inside (not over or on top of the foot), holds and resists to prevent sliding and to give the shoulders something to "wind up" against.  You should feel pressure on the inside of the back foot also, so the weight does not move on top of the foot or worse... to the outside the back foot.

If you're not shifting your weight, you may already be holding (subconsciously), with the back leg, to help keep your weight forward.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Anthony225
Ok. I've been working on not letting my weight shift to the right foot. Lately I've been setting up with my back foot slightly rolled to the instep and trying to keep the pressure (40%) the same until more weight moves to the front foot on the downswing. The slight roll would be unnoticeable to an observer.
Ross
That is good to work on.  

Keep in mind, our downswing "unwinds".  The downswing feels as if someone behind you, spins you around, from your "target-side" belt loop, pulling straight back.  This means... since we kept 60% of our weight forward, we can just unwind without a need to slide over to the front foot before we can turn. If you have that need, you moved off the ball on the backswing. 

Yes, eventually, almost all your weight ends up on the front foot, but this is not real noticeable, since this unwinding move is very natural and easy (like throwing a ball).  The only difference from throwing a ball is, our weight is already forward, so we just unwind and can be much more accurate returning back to impact.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
slim
Ross, if I was to put a cylinder over my torso, hypothetically, would the only thing outside that cylinder be my arms?
Ross
Yes...that is a good visualization.  

Now, below the torso, your stance may or may not be wider that the cylinder, depending on the club, setup and type of shot.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Anthony225
Ross,
Do you feel that the left knee pulls the target side hip straight back? I'm wondering if you have one small body part that you feel starts the downswing and not just the hips.
Ross
You are right, the body does not "really" start unwinding half way up from the ground... it unwinds from ground up, and yes the front knee is one of the 1st parts to move.  Watch in the Swing Section  (very old lesson video)  "Front Knee Starts Unwinding".  

BUT, I have mentioned in lesson videos/blog and other avenues, that many years ago I discovered, students don't respond or improve if you tell them to start the downswing using the knee(s).  They do respond to the LARGER MUSCLE GROUPS.  So the "hips" (for starting the downswing), worked the best.

Go throw a ball, and you decide, how you start unwinding once your weight is on the front foot, to unwind your torso/arm.

Hint:  What ever the individual student can "key" off of to get them to unwind like throwing a ball, is great for them (and maybe others). 

The Real Problem(s):
-  Setup out of Balance and are in trouble before they even start the swing.  Can't unwind if you're not setup athletically and are bent over or reaching out.

- Most of the time if someone is struggling with unwinding, they're not keeping their weight forward and are stuck with more weight on the back foot and can't unwind to start the downswing.

-  Or, they're starting the downswing using their hands/arms from the top (top down).  This is the opposite sequence needed.  This is the "tail wagging the dog" you've heard tell about.

-  Or, they're straightening their front knee, flat footed and can't turn very far.  Go try to throw a ball with your front knee locked and flat front foot. 

ANSWER... the front knee remains flexed a little, roll to the outside of the front foot if you can... or, start with the front foot flared and still try to keep the front knee flexed at least through impact, until the end of the swing when it straightens.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF

© Copyright 2005-2020 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.