Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more

Quick update from Las Vegas #golfinstruction #golflessons #duplessisgolf #golfhelp

A post shared by Ross DuPlessis (@duplessisgolf) on

Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
DaveF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
Great DaveF !! I don't think you have to "hope" you can do it on a regular basis.  The more you stay focused on this, the more you will learn about "it" and your confidence will grow.  Putting in the time is what confidence is all about.  As you work on, or with something, you'll find how it works, breaks, and how to fix it the next swing.  That is what builds consistency.  I'm sure no one hits perfect shots every time, it is about getting back on track asap, as to not lose strokes and confidence. The more you work and stay focused on one thing, the more familiar you are with it (and yourself).
Peterswont

Hi Ross!

The snow is finally gone here in the deep south of Ontario.

I have two issues with my striking. My distance is excellent and reliable but my direction is another issue. My ball flies straight but likes going about ten degrees left or right with no curving. My follow through is good and my stroke is very smooth and relaxed with the focus on rotating my torso all the way through , it really does work however. My shots are either consistancy left or right with the occasional perfect one down the middle. It improves with a solid set up routine especially the "let them hang" portion. But still it isnt predictable. We went out to the par three today and it really was left right left right with the occaisional bullseye centre shot.

Another issue, my woods. They used to be my go to sticks, now, nothing but trouble. Fat, thin, slice, hook . It really is ugly.

Can you suggest anything?

Take care and thank you on advance.

Peter.
Ross

Administrator
Hi Peter
Without seeing a video it is speculation, but here are 3 things to check:
1. The "right" shots... your body is out racing your arms/club and they're behind and the face opens.  This also can be that your front elbow starts pointing at the front hip (correctly), but on the downswing at impact it is pointing at the target (opens the face).  Or, your hands flare the face open on the backswing and you don't get it back to square by impact.

2.  The "left" shots...  Your hands are closing the face just before impact trying to not go right.  Or, your body quit rotating and the arms/club pass the body pointing the face left

3.  The "fat*, thin, slice, hook" shots...  you know (even without looking) at your swing I can almost tell you the reason you’re struggling with longer clubs is your hands.  You feel the need to help through impact.  Sometimes it is the arms, but “they” both need to maintain their setup shape through impact. 

You MUST feel the back of your front wrist flat (or even bowed out a bit) through impact.  Also the elbows must stay close together and another MUST is that the front elbow MUST point back at the front hip through impact… if it is pointing at the target, you’re in trouble and you will have to flip to save the shot or it will block/right/shank etc.  This will give you a couple of things to check.  Remember… the body must continue rotating through impact bringing the arms/club around to the left (right hander).

*FAT SHOTS: Sometimes fat is that you're sliding off the ball towards the back foot and don't get back and so you hit behind.  Can also happen if you stop rotating and the arms take over.  Check your elbows... must start close together and stay close together during the swing.  If they're apart at setup, they can elongate and lengthen the radius causing a fat shot.  Your chest can be dropping during the downswing causing a fat shot.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Peterswont

Thanks Ross. After reading your post I tried a few shots into my net. The lead elbow was not staying in and once I was aware of this the line straightened out.

The other aspect played into it just as much, I am out of synch with my rotation when I get too concerned about the target distance when I am at the edge of the club range. I find myself trying too help it too much, even though I KNOW that this doesn't really help at all, I should just move to a longer club. This is especially so with my woods, there is too much expectation for the outcome rather than the process of the swing.

Thanks a lot .
Ross

Administrator
You bet! If you work on the "Fixed Wrist Drill" your body will take over more and more and your rotation will improve.

I find some times, if I can keep my hands busy holding the "setup shape" during the backswing and through impact... AND the elbows pointing back and close together*, during the swing, the face stays perfectly square with the shaft in line with the front arm for repeatable solid contact.  We just use the arms/club shaft as our "template"... a "fixed" unit and this allows the Large Muscles to completely take over.  This may feel a bit restrictive at first, but the ball contact is so much more solid, all you have to do for more distance is turn through faster.

*Yes the back elbow does bend a little on the back swing and then the front elbow bends after impact, BUT... they stay close together ... almost pinching or a little squeeze.  This really ties the "template" of the arms/club together so the shoulder can take control on the backswing... and the body takes over on the downswing.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Tallguy

Ross:  I still don't understand your teaching of "Fixed Wrists".  I agree that you shouldn't consciously set them, but you can't play with completely frozen wrists, either. I keep them "oily" as Sam Snead suggests, & keep my hands & arms "Passive".  I'm not very flexible, so my wrists don't set much even if I try to set them, but completely "Frozen" & "Tight" wrists and hands don't work, either.  Your Thoughts?  Thanks!
Ross

Administrator
I have already written a lot about this both here and in the blog (search both for more).  What it boils down to is:  We MUST control the club face and shaft through impact... period.  It can't be a lose, flippy thing that just "happens" to line up correctly at the point of impact.  Lose, non-controlled wrists DON'T REPEAT.  This is why many golfers struggle.

Once you understand my complete method, you'll understand how the wrists can in fact stay, like you say "Frozen & Tight" (if done correctly).  I guarantee you that every solid golf shot ever hit (including Sam Snead), had the shaft in line with the front arm, flat or bowed out front wrist, at impact.  It does not matter where the arms/club/wrists/body traveled before (Jim Furyk), but at impact it is always the same.  NOW... there are more consistent routes to take, to get back to a solid impact shape, and since we use our body (large muscles), to move the ball, we get the luxury of keeping the wrist in that "perfect" impact position and the results are straight, solid shots one after another. 

See traditional golf instruction does not know (or will accept yet), about using the body mass rotating as the source of power!!  They defer to the hands/release.  They are slowly spotting glimpses of it.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Tallguy

Thanks for the reply, Ross.  I guess my question is: Is it ok to keep my wrists "Slightly" flexible throughout the swing so they can passively "set" or do you recommend to keep the grip & wrists so tight that they don't set even a fraction?  Thanks for your help.
Ross

Administrator
If you practice some short shots with the drills, keeping the wrists set, to learn how to trap the ball through impact, you'll hit the ball so solid, that if you loosen the wrists to achieve a "passive set", you'll see for your self.  I can not see any benefit in hinging more than the shape you'll need at impact... it will only cause problems.  If you hinge passively, you'll fight the urge to un-hinge which turns into a flip.  You will discover all this as you work with my method.  Nothing is in stone... if it works, use it. I can tell you any hinge, is offset by less solid shots and greater margin of error with direction.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
JW66

Hi Ross, Thought I had it and now lost It! I think I've over emphasized the shoulder turn and left my torso out of it so now I don't have any power. It seems that the torso or belly button or chest has to also turn with the shoulders. Can't seem to get the whole thing going together and as a result shift my weight to the right trying to get a turn. Love the method but in a slump right now. I'm sure there's no end to how your students can consulate your instructions!
Ross

Administrator
Yes, the chest does "get turned" (by the shoulders) a bit, but it is the sliding or feeling that the chest moved, that is the problem.

The shoulders move first and turn the chest... then when the shoulders can't turn any more, they then turn the hips.  This is the "Top Down" idea (backswing only).  The downswing is the opposite... it unwinds from "Ground Up"... just like throwing a ball.

See if this helps... if not may be time to send some swing videos for analysis.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
JW66

Excellent! I was concentrating on the shoulder turn and keeping my hips quiet to the point that my hips never got into the action, Thinking about shoulders, chest then hips has worked great. I also widened my stance and increased my knee flex in the athletic setup. These three things have made a world of difference. Thank you, thank you. Next challenge is getting rid of my chicken wing on the downswing. Squeeezed elbows works splendidly in short shots but haven't got it with longer clubs. Your method is the best. I've been using your system for a year with some periods of not playing so to others I'd say- stick with it. Practice, practice, practice, watch the videos and read the forums. That's where I got the idea of more knee flex even though you emphasize athletic stance and wider stance. Sometimes other players wording sinks in. Forums are priceless! Blessings to you in the new year and thank you for your system.
Ross

Administrator
Glad this helped you !  Different ideas "click" for different golfers.  Over the years, I developed many different ways to get an idea across to my students.  Communication is a tough thing.

Happy New Year

Ross

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Tallguy

Ross: I love your reply to Peter about fixing his problem shots in the above post.  I made several copies to remember them!  You need to highlight your reply for all of us to see!  Thanks again!
Greg
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2005-2017 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.