Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more

Quick update from Las Vegas #golfinstruction #golflessons #duplessisgolf #golfhelp

A post shared by Ross DuPlessis (@duplessisgolf) on

Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dave

The start of the downswing (or the trigger) is the turning of the left hip toward the target with powerless arms, correct? What do you think of using as a trigger the straightening of the left leg which (for me) causes the hips to turn fully. It seems to work for me and it's an easy thing to remember. All I do is when I get my shoulders fully turned (as much as my flexibility allows) I think- straighten left leg. The left leg straightens when you turn the hips anyway. Thanks

Dave

P.S. Great golf instruction on your website.
Ross

Administrator
Hi Dave
First the concept or trigger of "hips" is plural... they both work together.  Actually, the move is generating from ground up.  If you think about throwing a ball, the unwinding is exactly the same... as long as more that 50% is on the front foot, you can unwind easily.  Also, if you practice vertically... like the "Finish Drill", you can feel the move.

Now, as far as the straightening of the front leg... I will have to disagree for a couple of reasons.  First , if it works for you... Do it!! What I worry about is, that is a move that could change the concept of  "unwinding level"  at least until the body rotation has brought the arms through impact and the back shoulder is touching the chin...then the back, head follow the rotation out and the back releases to face the target.  I think more of the downswing being the inverse of the backswing... kind of wind up... unwind and the straightening of the leg would disrupt the "action / opposite = reaction".  Thanks for the nice comments Dave.

Ross

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
bjbigbird

I just think turn.  I use to use my arms.
cguyaok

Ross, long ago in the big blue Faldo book after he started to redesign his swing with Ledbetter, he actually advocated starting the downswing by separating the left knee away from the trail side of the body-he said a lot in that book so its possible I am always mistaken [eek]- but I can do that and it does drop my shoulder and arms straight down and through-it is a "snap" but does not feel like a rotation but a sling-shot-are you recommending this versus turning Hogan's belt buckle or driving Austin's right knee to 10 o'clock?

Pat
Ross

Administrator
It is not that complicated... what do you think about when you throw a ball... it is the same unwinding move, but with your weight already on the front foot.  It is so much easier when the weight did not slide to the back foot on the backswing.  If more than 50% of your weight is on the back foot, you can't unwind (without sliding back to the front foot first). 

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2005-2017 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.