Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more

Quick update from Las Vegas #golfinstruction #golflessons #duplessisgolf #golfhelp

A post shared by Ross DuPlessis (@duplessisgolf) on

Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
davew

I thought to share my experience's which I believe have enabled me to overcome my major problem in still having the 'hit' instinct with the arm's/hand's. This has dogged me for a long time and is a real game spoiler.

First I am a firm believer in the Ross Method and am well aware of the technique although putting it into practice has not been easy. I knew that somehow I would need to eradicate this 'hit' instinct and I describe here how I have done this and maybe people in a similar situation can take something from it.

Firstly, once the address is in place I must try and put the arm's/hand's out of my mind and not change anything. I relaxed my hold a bit as I considered I was clenching the muscles in a robotic fashion and I think if this happen's you are asking them to do something. Just set up with arm's fully extended but not clenched and a grip just firm enough on the club. Feel that the knee's are energised athletically so you are ready for action. Wind up with the shoulder's only - let them transport the 'almost' passive template to the top. Then unwind from the bottom and for me this include's a small, almost imperceptible move forward's with the hip's which is incorporated with the turn - this bring's the weight fully onto the left side. Carry on to a natural finish but at least to face the target - on a full swing the arms's will go past the body well after impact.

Key for me is to isolate the swing to the core, shoulder's and hip's. I think of my core like a transmission drive shaft with the hip's acting like a knuckle joint.

I find face contact right in the middle and ball flight long (for me) and straight. On the short 18th the other day I equalled my 3 hc partner for length of 220 yds (I am 23 hc and 68 year's old) and was straight, leaving a Gap Wedge of 95 yds to within 6 feet and unfortunately 2 putted but still a good result.

Thank's for all the help Ross, I really think I have made progress here due to your involvement.

Ross

Administrator
That's great to hear Dave. 

I really like how you mentioned the "almost imperceptible move forward...", because ultimately we'll arrive with the weight not only fully onto the left side (front side), but to the outside of the front foot.

I will mention, how too much of a relaxed grip vs. holding the shape through impact, can leading to a flip.... BUT, you can get away with a more relaxed grip, if the body's rotation is the dominating force through impact.  As long as the body is accelerating (and not stopping so you can hit with the hands), the wrists/hands should maintain their shape and all will be good.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Rich_P

I have also had the problem of my hands flipping at impact, see my 'Topping Fairway Woods' post.  I have recently come upon a big help in keeping my hands, especially my right hand, out of the swing.  I am a long term tennis player and fairly new to golf, which makes me very right hand dominate.  The help has been using the 'Jim Furyk Grip' which is a double overlap grip.    This grip really makes me feel like the hands are one unit.  When I changed to it I immediately experienced much better contact.  It has not completely eliminated the topped hard left shots but they are much rarer now.   Hope this grip change may help others.  Have you used this grip with your newer students?
Ross

Administrator
No, but I do know of it.  You are right about the back hand wanting to help. 

As opposed to trying to keep the back hand out of the swing,  I try to teach how to "use" the back hand to help "hold" the correct shape.  What I mean is, the back wrist "bent in", helping brace the shaft, in line with the front arm.  This is done, as the body is rotating through impact.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
larry

Hi, just a general golf question regarding pre-shot routines. I have gotten into the habit of not taking practice swings before setting up to the ball. This includes putting. I feel like I should be taking at least one or two but don't want to overdo it. What is your feeling about the value of practice swings? Should they be just a general loosening up or simulate the swing you intend to use? I am still enjoying your method. Thanks.
Ross

Administrator
Hi Larry
Great question.  My opinion on this is, that everyone is different.  I don't mind a couple of practice swings to "recall" a time you took the shot you're about to take.  Example:

"I've got about 180 yds. to the middle of the green.  I just hit a great 6 iron 2 holes back... THEN TAKE A PRACTICE SWING (that feels just like the one you took earlier).   Also, tell yourself*... "I remember hitting a great 6 iron... and if felt like...  This is very powerful and works !!!  You always want to send your mind, a visualization of "what you want to do" and preferably, of a time you already achieved this.

NOW... if you walk up to a shot and think... "I've got this"... setup and go.  If you feel it...trust it... GO.  Don't wait or add practice swings arbitrarily... That is the best signal.

One last thought... if you can't feel it, or visualize it... Just decide what you want to do, and follow your routine and accept what you get.  That's the best you can't do.

* Self Talk is an awesome tool.  If you have a hard time visualizing... VERBALIZE to yourself.  Tell yourself  (in your own head) or out loud (if you have to),  what you "Want To Do".  This takes a little practice.  The opposite, can also ruin your day... no negative dialogue (self talk).  You never want to visualize what you're trying to "Avoid" (block it!)... STOP yourself, and then replace with "What You Want To Do".

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Tallguy

Ross:  Just purchased your lifetime membership and started working with my "New Swing" yesterday.  I definitely hit the ball much more consistently, but I'm 10 yards shorter with this method & pulling the ball often.  What drills would you recommend to increase my distance & stop the "Pulls"?  Thanks!

Greg
Ross

Administrator
Depending on why you're pulling, generally it is because you do not know how to turn completely to the finish and you are stopping at the ball and letting your arms/club pass your body's rotation.  If you keep turning, it should help (if that is your issue).

You may be flipping some (very common), which closes the club face sending the ball left (for a right hander).  Keeping the wrists fixed with the setup shape, and keep turning through impact will help.

Distance is not just a "thing" many elements add up to increased distance and decreased distance.   Also, it is not just club head speed.  It is about using the body's "mass" together.  Like a train hitting a golf ball vs. a little club head. 

More than likely you have a combination of issues.  It is very easy to "throw" the club head at the ball and send it a long way... rarely straight and many times missed.  Learning to control the direction and solidness first, then learning to maximize an athletic body rotation for power and reliability will take practice and work.

ALL the drills will help.  They teach you how to move.  The process you're going through, to change your golf swing, takes time and effort.  Start short (40 - 50 yds) and learn to turn using the Large Muscles.  You'll learn something about yourself and swing everyday.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Tallguy

Thanks, Ross.  Any ideas or drills to make the proper hip turn back to the target?   I've tried spinning the hips in a barrel & shifting my left hip, still turned, back toward the target, but nothing seems consistent?  Thanks!

Greg
Ross

Administrator
Watch the Large Muscles Drill.  Copy the drill exactly.  It teaches the correct move.  The forward move is exactly like throwing a ball.  The key is keeping at least 60% of your weight forward, so there is no sliding back and forth... you can just unwind.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Ross

Administrator
The goal is to maintain the "shape" through impact.  You want to find what works for you.  If "holding" the back wrist in helps, then find the pressure that works fro you to do that.

Now, what the elbow back at the front hip does, is help keep that shaft in line with that front arm at impact (very important position).  Example: if the elbow is pointing at the target instead, there is a good chance the back of the front wrist is pointing "out" , not at the target.  This will have the club face open (you'll get a push, slice or shank or need to flip to save the shot).

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Sparks

Hi Ross
Do you lean to the left to insure the weight
Is on that side
Ross

Administrator
Yes.  We always setup with 60% (or more) weight on the front foot, and it stays there (like an anchor) on the backswing, so you can just unwind on the downswing (without having to shift your weight back to the front foot, because you let the weight slide to the back foot on the backswing).  Keeping the weight on the inside of the back foot (braced), will help keep your weight forward.  This greatly improves your ball striking and also helps create more torque (windup).

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2005-2017 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.