Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more

Quick update from Las Vegas #golfinstruction #golflessons #duplessisgolf #golfhelp

A post shared by Ross DuPlessis (@duplessisgolf) on

Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Ed_Blackburn1

Hi Ross, I have been spending most of my time on the for the last month or so since finding your site and method. I have played twice in that time and the scores were both much better than my previous which is awesome. I have noticed in those two times that I do not make the same consistently good contact that I get on the range although my bad shots are an order of magnitude better than my old bad shots. Some shots are bad they just don't feel as solid. I guess it could have to do with the fact that we seldom get the perfect level ground, lies etc that we get on the range plus I am changing clubs every shot. Is there one particular swing thought to focus on during a real round that will improve that percentage of feeling really solid contact when striking the ball out on the course? I don't want to carrying to much baggage in my pea brain when I am playing for real so just one or two things to emphasize please sir.[eek]
Ross

Administrator
Hi Ed
The best way I know is you have to practice "taking shots" on the range.  This means, changing clubs each shot, picking a different target each shot, using your routine each shot as if you were on the course.  Very few golfers take the time to practice their routine.

You also want to evaluate your routine so you have a few productive thoughts just prior to taking your shot.  You want to eliminate non-productive movements, thoughts and visualizations*.  ALL THOUGHTS MUST BE POSITIVE ... and ALL VISUALIZATIONS OF WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.

You also want to look for and REMOVE all fidgeting moves or repetitious moves** ... especially any hand hinging moves.  You can move your shoulders a little to rehearse your takeaway.

* Visualize only what you want to "do" not "avoid".  See you ball in the air on the line you want... do not tell yourself things like ... "I hope I don't slice it", because you just sent your brain a picture of a ball slicing.  Tell your brain what you want and visualize how it looks!

** Contrary to popular belief that a "waggle" relaxes ... or 8 looks at the target is helping ... in my opinion, they don't.  The waggle is preparing your hands to "take over" and the excessive looks are just an "indecisive habit" that adds anxiety.  You want to have a fixed short few thoughts "routine"

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Ed_Blackburn1

Thanks Ross, ok I will keep on with the 10 ball drills and maybe even add some more. How do you feel about practice swings? They are not part of your pre-shot routine should they be dispensed with?
Ross

Administrator
That is kind of individual.  If you see the shot in your mind and are ready to go, use that confidence and just go through your routine and hit! 

If you're not sure, or have not used that particular shot/club in a while, take a real complete practice swing (not any of those half effort practice swings*).  I think most recovery shots or touch shots around the green, need a couple of rehearsal swing to feel the conditions and program into your mind the amount of effort you'll be using in the shot.

* Some of those less that full practice swings are "recalling" or "re-feeling" how you want the shot.  I still think a real complete practice swing, just like you are about to hit it is best (if you feel like you need a practice swing)

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2005-2017 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.