Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more

Quick update from Las Vegas #golfinstruction #golflessons #duplessisgolf #golfhelp

A post shared by Ross DuPlessis (@duplessisgolf) on

Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
RAM

It's been a while since i have reported in on progress and or regress. This is year 3+ and i have had a good season of ball striking and scoring. Play mostly league night and buddy rounds. Handicap is hanging around 10-12 ( we have a 9 hole course, but it is bent grass tee to green with water and traps a plenty.) So thats 5 -6 a side. I have not played in our pro-am or club championship for 15 years or so, because i usually stunk it up.. nerves! I thought i would give the club championship ( handicap division ) a try this year. Well, i still stunk it up, BUT, before Ross, I would hack it up with fat and chunks..nerves. This time i had no total chunks and had a great driving day. What i realized was that under the heat of competition ( nerves ) I would flash back to my old big miss, that was leaving my arms behind while turning thru the shot, push right into the tree line on pressure shots. I tried hard to correct on the fly, but i struggled. You may think that this is not an endorsement of Ross's swing, but it is! I have had more sub 40 rounds on this course this year than ever before. This swing works and is repeatable! I have to deal with the nerves, any suggestions! Thanks Ross for giving me a better game.
Ross

Administrator
Nerves is everyone's problem!  If someone thinks they don't get nervous, they have not been in a stressful enough situation yet.  

Two things will help you.  If you practiced regularly, "The Ross Move", your arms/club won't get left behind and you'll know it because you've put in the time.  Your body will be familiar with bringing the arms/club back down.  Also, once you have an "iron clad" routine, that is the only thing you think about as you take every shot under pressure... "Follow my routine !!!!"  It should only take 12-14 seconds and have a couple/few thoughts that are always the same.  If you work on these two items, you will improve!!

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
RAM

Thanks Ross. You are right on! As the round progressed i was trying to keep up with the longer hitters in my group and lost my mind. I just needed you're coaching to help me see what i was missing. I recall the years before i adopted your method, as the season wore on, i would get longer and looser. Same result as my sad experience Sunday. Played a league match Thursday and was still in the same funk, but that was before i read your reply, i think it was a " hang over " from my Sunday round.
Ross

Administrator
I'll tell you a great trick many pros use.  They "NEVER" watch another player's routine, swing or hit a shot.  The only reason might be Match Play, and then you just need to see where the ball went... not the the swing.  

The reason I say this (and have practiced this since I can't remember) is, because your opponents movements, rhythm, antics, attitude, energy etc. can mess with you subconsciously.  Example: His routine is fast and he swings fast... and then you wonder why you're swinging so fast or over-swinging ... you get the point.  Never watch anyone swing.  I'm not saying ignore them... just get in the habit of doing something else or looking away.  It too takes practice because we all like to watch... but what you don't see, won't affect you.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
DJC2650

Ross, thought I'd post about my progress and ask a question or two.  For nine holes, had been getting more consistent in making good contact throughout the summer.  Shooting just around 45 or so but a lot had to do with some poor drives.  Putting and chipping much better.

The wheels fell off two weeks ago and I could not get them back on.  [confused]   At first I thought it was that I was not letting my hips turn(once I took that slack out with my shoulder turn).   Now, I don't turn them at the end of the backswing but I 'let' them turn.  Seems to be on track now.  Need at least some hip turn.  Is that the general idea?  My backswing seems more on track when just letting the hips turn some after the initial swing where they are restrained.

The real culprit though was not keeping my weight forward.  I would set up with weight forward but not keep it there.  Boy, what problems that creates - bad contact, duffed shots, and on and on.  Now I keep at least 70% or so on the front leg and keep it there -  Almost feels like I am adding more weight at the top of my backswing when I am getting a good shoulder turn and my right shoulder is turning more around my spine.[smile]

Question is, I am fine my the yardage I hit with all clubs except my driver.  Maybe I just need to focus on driver now that I think I can get good contact.  For the rest of the playing days left in northeast Ohio, I hope to ingrain the swing as much as possible and try to get longer drives.  Right now, I am hitting them only about 200 yards.  Will keep experimenting with the ball position. 

Ross

Administrator
There is a "fine line" on square, solid, straight contact and arbitrarily trying things to add distance.  Search the forum for discussions on "distance" to see how to approach this.

Hints:

1.  Shoulders start first with a bit of lower body resistance.  In other words, shoulders get a "head start".

2.  Keeping your weight forward (like an anchor), to help create resistance... and so you'll be in perfect position for unwinding the downswing.

3.  Ball position forward... so you contact as the club head ascends.  This can/should be outside the front foot.  Experiment. 

4.  Solid straight line with shaft and front arm through impact.  You'll get this only if the body is rotating, dragging the arms/club through impact.  If the body stops and hands take over you'll get a weak... anything can happen result.

5.  Complete body/arms/hands/club continuity.  Everything moving the ball as you're unwinding.  This is like a rubber band unwinding.

6.  Learn to accelerate your rotation correctly.  It does not take much increase in rotation to gain many yards... but only if done correctly (both backswing and downswing).

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
DJC2650

Hi Ross,

For my drives, I found the answer to be #3.  I was teeing the ball up fairly high but not playing the ball forward enough.  (Once I hit under it and it spun almost straight up into the air about 15 feet - glad no one else was around to witness!).  Playing it outside the left foot is a world of difference.  Not as long as I'd like but that will change with accelerating the rotation.

One self-inflicted problem was that, add address, I was doing the squeeze elbow part correctly but I also let my wrists relax and bend a bit at address.  Bad idea.

One old move I have kept (most everything else is thankfully gone) is that on the downswing and follow through, I kind of stay into the shot, or some may say, stay in 'C' position with my head tilted.  Kind of inhibits the follow through some bit I find I make better contact that way.   I do the same with putting.

Had a good clean round yesterday with only a few miss hits.
Ross

Administrator
Glad you had a good round!  You want to be careful of the "C" position.. can hurt your back.  The head should come up and out with the back shoulder on the downswing.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2005-2017 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.