Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more

Quick update from Las Vegas #golfinstruction #golflessons #duplessisgolf #golfhelp

A post shared by Ross DuPlessis (@duplessisgolf) on

Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
DaveF

Some "classroom" time please!
This is a fascinating but extremely frustrating process.
I've gone from "failure to success" numerous times, and certainly have learned that you never just "get it" and move forward with predictability. I have continued to "fail better" for the most part,
but in the past week "massive success" in practice has followed by "massive failure" on the course. In other words, incremental improvements and changes are being replaced with "monumental" ones. This was not the result of over confidence or lack of discipline, but more like my mental software was erased! Total meltdown.
With any other learned behavior you continually hone your skills with continued progress and refinement. This feels like the opposite. Makes sense since golf IS the game of "opposites", but I feel like I am in uncharted territory now, but not in a good way. Is this typical?

To get back on track, I am surely not anywhere near the "swing and let the ball get in the way" level of mastery so I am trying to find an intermediate thought other than "visualize the finish". Visualizing the shaft leading the clubhead and "turn left" was the thought that got me in the aforementioned "zone", but until I can consistently groove that, I've been working on "left hip back through impact". I know I need to have a CONSISTENT swing thought, but what works is always a moving target. Just venting I guess, but any commentary is welcome.
Ross

Administrator
Sorry you're struggling.  Working on your swing and playing "golf" on the course are two different things.  "Routine" is the key for the course.  It does not necessarily mean you'll play great or even better (depends on many factors), but it is your only chance for consistency.

You can't be learning something on the course.  You learn it at the range, then hopefully take it to the course.  If you can consistently do something well at the range, then it does not hold up on the course... you're problem is "routine".  If your routine is solid, repeatable, the same... you mind and body will be comfortable no matter where you are.  You have to be familiar with it.

When you play your mind has to be quiet and focused on one or two thoughts that you trust.  If you can't find anything that is working, you should not be on the course.

Oh don't forget, golf is very hard... for all of us.  No one ever "gets it" and keeps it.  It is an ongoing process.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
DaveF

This deserves an update. I remember the hole and shot that led to this post (back in February). I was paralyzed between the old and the new swing. Definitely a turning point toward getting better. I realize more and more that rotating left through the ball was completely foreign to me on spite of years of lessons. It's been uncharted territory feeling the hands, arms, shoulders being pulled left and around by the hips AND having the shoulders turn on axis too. Got to keep working on that. It helps that I document my practice sessions.
It requires major focus for me to relax and "disengage" the hands and arms and let the hips pull them passively back down and around, but it's happening more regularly now. It's great knowing how to go about it vs "hoping" it might happen. Having said that, at this early stage, when I get it right, and the ball explodes off the clubface, I pause and think "Wow! Did I really just do that?" [smile]
Very motivating to say the least.
Thanks Ross!
Ross

Administrator
You're welcome Dave, but you did the work! Ultimately, it's not about "getting" this method and having a perfect golf swing and make nothing but perfect shots... it's about recovery time and consistency.  Once learned, much less can go wrong, and it is much easier to get back on board when things do fall apart.  Great to hear about your improvements.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2005-2017 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.