Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more

Quick update from Las Vegas #golfinstruction #golflessons #duplessisgolf #golfhelp

A post shared by Ross DuPlessis (@duplessisgolf) on

Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
DaveF

My full swing is a Jekyl & Hyde affair right now, but steadily improving. My good shots are better, my bad ones though can be really ugly. Raised expectations will do that I guess.
Major progress in one regard, as my brother (big hitter) volunteered regarding my distance off the tee this weekend:
"I can't believe how much you get out of that swing."
I responded:
"You mean because my backswing is so short?".
"Yes".

I was wondering when someone was going to notice that lol.
A nice confirmation the method is starting to really stick.

Ross

Administrator
Very cool Dave!

The more you learn about the efficiency of the rotation, the more you can control your "distances" and "trajectories", and how the ball will respond after it lands, just with the speed/effort of your rotation on the downswing.  

The reason I say this is... "direction" is  out of the equation when you learn to keep the face square and trap the ball via your rotation.  Now, you know where the ball is going (as a "given") and can focus on the launch angle and landing. These are things that most of us can do easily throwing a ball, but struggle trying to reproduce via the golf swing.

Hitting a great golf shot is not magic or luck.  It is about acquiring "skills" through "time & effort" then capitalizing when they're needed.  How fun is that???  I think "luck" has more to do with how and where the ball ends up, given the conditions and topography.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
DaveF

Thanks Ross. Exciting to think of the possibilities. Amen on being able to pick a spot and land it there. It IS a lot more fun to think one's way through the course then to "spray and pray" right? My game has been condescendingly referred to as "target golf" a few times, to which I reply "isn't ALL golf target golf?
My course has a lot of terrain and elevation changes as well as WIND. There are several holes where if you can land it in the right spot off the tee the ball will grab the slope and roll an additional 20-50 yards and to a FLAT lie. On a couple par 3's I will hit a 3 hybrid on a low trajectory with a slower swing (not "1/2" - always finish the swing) to cheat the wind and stay out of trouble. The ball ends up within the same 10 yard radius 80% of the time. Not necessarily next to the pin, but I know the putt or the chip. Meanwhile my buddies take out a high lofted club into a 20mph wind and play the lotto. It's incredible.
I guess if you have no idea what shot you are going to hit you might as well throw caution to the wind (pun intended). Also, they seem more interested in the ego factor of being able to hit less club.
Even the pros do it right? If you can hit a stinger through a 2 foot window under a tree branch and off the pine straw at Augusta and put it near the green, why not use that incredible skill to put it in the friggin' fairway to begin with? They don't lack distance, so why such a premium on an extra 5-10 yards?
Anthony225

Ross,
What do you mean by launch angle and landing? Since we do not manipulate our wrist or the ball position, how would launch and landing be adjusted?
Ross

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF
... They don't lack distance, so why such a premium on an extra 5-10 yards?

Different players play more aggressive (risk/reward).  I guess "statistically" the closer you are, the closer you could get the next shot.  So, if you pick up a little yardage on the field with each tee shot and 2nd shots on par 5s,... over 4 days that might add up to a couple stroke advantage.  

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Ross

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony225
Ross, What do you mean by launch angle and landing? Since we do not manipulate our wrist or the ball position, how would launch and landing be adjusted?

The Launch Angle can be changed by opening and closing the club face before you take you're grip. Better players know how to add a little, or take a little loft off the club in their hand.  

The club that I do this with (every shot) is SW around the green.  I look at the club face like there's a light beam coming off the face, showing me exactly how high the loft will project the ball (I can see the ball coming off the face in my mind)... then I rotate the shaft in my hand (before I grip it), to dial in on the exact loft needed, for the speed I intend to move the ball*.  I then just line up the leading edge exactly on my landing spot... and go.

The Landing has to do with multiple factors.  It can be one influence or a combination of "decent angle**" and acceleration variations (long and slow vs. short and quick with lots of acceleration), and also hook or cut spin.  All these affect the balls reaction once it lands.  The "key" is you need to know via practice, exactly how the ball will react with the shot you're going to take.

* The speed comes from imagining I'm going to toss the ball underhand, on a trajectory to a landing spot, and the ball will continue rolling at the speed tossed, and come to a "stop" in the bottom of the cup or right by it.

** The descent angle is... as the ball looses speed in the air, it starts to fall and depending on the original Launch Angle and the amount of speed or energy produced at impact, will drop back down and "react". If it was a low trajectory, the ball will want to continue rolling forward... if it was a very high shot, it will react like it was just dropped out of the sky and just plop or stop quickly (now,this is not spin effects on the ball). On a very advanced level you can even decelerate the body rotation (on purpose), for a knuckle ball drop shot effect (must be practiced first).

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
carlgo

The pros have to go for it. There are dozens playing in a tournament and they are all swinging for the fences on huge long courses. A few will be on and hit the fairways. A couple of them will also have a great short game that day as well. One of them will win that day. Sometimes they can keep this up for an entire tournament and win a fortune. A tortoise can beat one hare, but not a bunch of them. If you want to win the big bucks you have to go for it to have any chance.  

Our golf is just a bit different. We do not want to flub shots embarrassingly or look for balls. We play shorter courses and play in small groups. Steady is both fun and winning is a possibility on a good day. Also, as you get confident and in the groove your speed automatically increases and you get better distance as well. 
DaveF

Speaking of direction,and FUN - Saturday I was hitting a 110 yard approach shot out of one pot bunker and over another to a front tucked pin, thinking "just make a good swing". To everyone's amazement, I rattled the top of the pin with a soaring ball flight. My buddy was equally excited for me, but quickly added "take less club next time". I was just hoping to get out and get a flat lie for my next shot.
DaveF

A comment this weekend from a different golf buddy about the (short) backswing: "Are you swinging that way because of your back?". I'm beginning to think there's a psychological as well as a physiological advantage to the swing [smile].
Ross

Administrator
Ha... you may be right Dave!  The backswing "stores" potential... the downswing is where you unleash it.  A quarterback can throw a pass using the same backswing length, but just turns through faster for more distance.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
DaveF

It's pretty incredible. Everyone should learn golf this way.
Anthony225

Ross,
What is the "knuckle ball drop shot" you mention above?
Ross

Administrator
The affect on the ball when you kind of "quit" on the shot or kind of "slow" into or just past impact,  It is like (in my mind), a "knuckle ball" in baseball. This is where the ball is king of dropping, or slowing with little on no spin right at the bag.  It is kind of "falling" and running out of steam.  This can give you a shot that literally just drops and stops or moves very little after it lands... not much roll.  Hope this helps describe it.  You can also get somewhat of the same effect, by hitting behind the ball into the grass (like a bunker shot*).  The club face does not hit the ball, but the ground moves it with little or no spin (I do not recommend this shot).

* Like "chunk it" on purpose.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Dan

Hi Ross,
I shot a 39 at the North Course today. I'm focusing on two things; turning shoulders and turning hips. No wrist, no hitting at the ball, just turning and keeping it very simple. It works like magic - even pitched one in from about 20 yds off the green!

Best,
Dan
Ross

Administrator
Awesome Dan.  Great to hear from you.  Please keep in touch.  We're moving to the Las Vegas NV area soon.  Don't want to lose touch...  Ross

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2005-2017 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.