Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more

Quick update from Las Vegas #golfinstruction #golflessons #duplessisgolf #golfhelp

A post shared by Ross DuPlessis (@duplessisgolf) on

Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Ross

Administrator
Most amateurs don't visualize the complete ball flight, landing speed and then roll of a pitch or chip shot.  That's why many times they don't get very close to the hole.  You must picture the complete trip.

Before you take your shot, if you start with where the ball will land and imagine putting from there, you'll get the break and speed needed from that point of the trip, to finish in the hole.  Then back at the ball, pick the shot that will give you the landing angle* on to the green, that will let the ball roll at the speed you imagined earlier.  Most golfers can practice this just by tossing golf balls (by hand), on to the green at different heights and watch them continue and learn.  Most often using SW and opening or closing the face a bit will give you what you need to get the job done (no flip ever through impact).

*Landing Angle or Impact Angle, is the angle the ball is dropping out of the sky or the angle it hits the green.  If the ball is coming almost straight down or very steep, it will not roll forward very much, because the energy goes straight down into the green and kills the forward momentum.  The opposite is a low trajectory or shallow impact and the ball not be affected as much and will keep rolling.  You might use this low shot to get on the green and let it roll like a long putt.

Thanks Barbara [smile] (Last part of a chip/pitch is like a putt - my wife's idea)

Ross

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Richard

I used to putt everything off the fringe or greenside fairway, but now pitch/chip all but the tightest of lies using Ross' s methods just as described above. Have also spent a lot of time on the practise green learning this. I don't use sand wedge, prefer my PW...just personal choice. I like to run em up...only carry or flop when I have no other option.

Lots of up and downs this weekend...78 & 79...pars that were bogies last year. Also Ross, in regard to my left knee issue I'm turning my left foot out a bit as per your suggestion, narrowing my stance a little, nice compact 3/4 backswing with a full turn thru the shot, and just striping my mid/short irons...no thin shots. Thanks for the assist.
Ross

Administrator
That's Great Richard! Golf is much more fun when you can experience improvement.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
JoeJacksonQ

Distance Control -wegdes

Ross - with your method, do you preach one club for multiple shot lengths or multiple clubs for distance.

JoeJacksonQ
Ross

Administrator
If you're talking like 50 yds. in, I really think using one club (SW 56° - not lob), is a good idea.  You can make slight setup changes for different results.  The 56° reacts more like tossing a ball.  All you have to do is practice different paces and lengths of backswings (downswing always complete to the finish - never shorten or slow down).  You want to think about this just like throwing a ball.  It's not about how far you take you arm back, it is about the speed of your rotation through to the finish to produce different distances.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2005-2017 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.