Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more

Quick update from Las Vegas #golfinstruction #golflessons #duplessisgolf #golfhelp

A post shared by Ross DuPlessis (@duplessisgolf) on

Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Richard

So.....how's this going with others in the group? I've come far with my game using Ross' s methods and have told my golf buddies about it. Had an instructor stop at the range last winter, watch a few strikes, and ask what/where did I come up with that swing.

I love these forums and always like chatting with others on the same journey. Also, from Wisconsin here...any other Cheeseheads working on this?

davew

Hi dave,

I am also having a good degree of success with Ross's method and I wish I had known about this approach when I started golf 10 year's ago. The method is much more intuitive than conventional teaching which uses the 2 lever system and faults are very easy to self-diagnose. Actually I do not think of myself having a 'swing' now (to me this is synonymous with the 2 lever thing) so I think of executing a body motion or Ross move if you like.

As you may realise old habits are very hard to break and my greatest difficulty is the correct use of the lower body to turn. My instinct is still to try and use the hand's/arm's especially if I try to hit hard - I am sure many more student's have the same problem and this introduces all the problem's we are familiar with. So, this is work in progress and I am trying to do as Ross suggests by segregating the backswing and downswing. I think BACK with the SHOULDER'S/CHEST and TURN with the FEET/LEGS. I am going to inject a small pause between the two as Ross suggests to give my mind time to switch from one mode to another.

So an interesting journey and lot's of work to do to execute the turn correctly - I am sure the drill's will help a lot. My simple ambition is to execute a good turn TO THE FINISH using the lower body correctly.

Cheer's, davew
Richard

I know what you mean Dave....I'm a month from 62, with years of "traditional swing mechanics" to undo. Now, I coached hockey for 34 years and always used a reference I once read whereby sports physiologists maintained it takes 6000 repititions to develop muscle memory, and a bad habit so ingrained would require 6000 to de-program andd an additional 6000 to re-program. Maybe so...maybe not...but it made sense to me and I was adament in skill learning drills, especially with younger players and goalies, to "learn the skill, not the drill.

That said, I started the Ross method last
winter and several thousand range balls later progress is evident in my mind, and from coments from my golf buddies. I keep steering them to Ross' s site but its up to them. I know I'm not up to the sensai's abilities yet but its a marathon, not a sprint. One great thing is when the @#$&* ball won't behave I now have the ability to think thru whatever I'm doing wrong and immediately fix it. Never the case before.
Ross

Administrator
Funny you should say Sensei and Marathon... my wife (maiden name Shorter), my biggest fan, and student. Studied Marshal Arts... and ran 100 miles a week with her brother, Frank (2 gold medals).  This is someone who knows commitment and hard work and how to practice.  In martial arts Kung Fu... means, "Accumulation of Time and Effort".  They would start with a "white belt" and after the "time and effort" was put in... the belt was "black"... from work!!  The rewards are both in the process and results.  Many just don't know how to work for something. If you put time and effort into golf... you will get both.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Richard

Totally agree Ross!!! My son, now 26, was also a hockey player and played at pretty high levels. Each step up from youth to highschool to tier 1 to juniors and finally to college required tremendous behind the scenes training. The dry-land training of strength, flexibility, speed, endurance, cardio, on and on are unseen by the average fan who only watch the end product which is "game day". My basement still looks like Gold's Gym with the wieghts and racks, skating board, plyometric tools and what have you. Also unseen is the year round commitment of training to excell at ANYTHING!!!! Hard work beats talent when talent won't work hard.

I love this stuff and can go on endlessly.....just ask my wife :-) . So, in my case as a senior former athlete with 2 bum knees (replacement when I retire) golf is now totally my thing. Can't get enough...spend equal time on the range and the course. The range for me is skill honing and therapy, just as much fun as the course.
Jimbohaw

Hey Ross. So cool that you let us in on a little of your life. Fascinating that your wife is Frank Shorter's sister. As soon as I read that I immediately thought of Jim McKay, Wide World of Sports, the '72 Olympic and the imposter. Kind of dates us, doesn't it?
Ross

Administrator
Oh, that getting old(er), dating us issue.  Yes, I too remember those Olympics and did see the imposter. I had just graduated High School (Golf, Cross Country, High Jump, Pole Vault, Music).  Well, now you know I'm at least over 40... (and a touch over 60 too).

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Richard

California Cheesehead here. Making progress after I hit the wall last month. I was going to send Ross a video because I was shanking, but after viewing it it was more than apparent what was wrong. Continue to struggle with a long backswing, so that is the main component of my routine. I start with the Ross drill (standing up shoulders back, knees thru....) and work it down to the stance for that club. When I do that it usually reveals how much I am moving my arms when I should be turning my chest on the backswing (My arms always want to disconnect from the chest and keep going back after I've turned my shoulders as far as they can go). That results in getting stuck at the top and a hook because it activates my arms. Working on it. Getting loosened up isn't my forte (mentally more then physically[smile].

Although, I'd be curious for others to try this because I can't be the only one with a limited shoulder turn? (or IS it "limited"?).
Turning the chest as far as it can go on the backswing per the main drill (standing position), then lowering into address position (with a mid-iron). This being the top of the backswing (w/o moving hips for comparison purposes). For me, Front view (no hips) the club is 10:30-11:00 o'clock max.

Thanks for any commentary.
Dave
ChaseUK02

Hey everyone - I'm new to the site from the beautiful golfing capitol of South Carolina. [smile]

I just started the Ross method about a month ago, so I am a newbie but I really enjoy the techinques and teachings so far. I have had quite a bit of success implementing this simpler golf swing and gained a lot of consistency. The key for me seems to be turning around that front hip socket, it makes finishing to the target so much easier that now it's almost automatic! 

My struggles are off the tee with a driver or wood. Anyone else have this problem? I have always fought a big slice and continue to do so, even when finishing my turn fully. 

Anyway, good to be here and look forward to talking with others who are using these methods!

Ross

Administrator
Welcome ChaseUK02.  As far as you Driver issues go... there are 2 videos I'll direct you to Driver and Square Club Face  The driver video will help you understand setup for our method (and why it works) and the square club face video will straighten out your slice.  Remember if you're still struggling, you received (1) swing analysis with your membership and you can't send me a couple videos of your swing and I'll tell you specifically what to do to fix it.

Ross

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Richard

"California" Lucky.....Wisco Lucky here....

I've really shortened up my backswing with the Ross method. It may be just me but this system seems ideal for the senior golfer, such as myself. Basically, for me anyway, when my turn is there....thats it. I do NOT try for more with my arms. I do get some natural lag, so does Ross from the videos, but I keep the left arm fairly straight and not much past parellel on the backswing. My swing thought: left shoulder under chin going back, right coming thru....subsequently pulling my head up after the strike.

If I take the arms back further...past my "turn"....BIG trouble swinging thru. In short, my swing is more compact, repeatable, and with no moving parts with the Ross method.

I really like one of Ross' s posts in regard to the chest in the entire process...he put into words what I've been striving for...another "aha" moment for myself.

Just got home from the John Deere Classic, followed Stricker, Cink, and Spieth, and watched Strick's driver backswing: very compact, hands/hinge free, only about 3/4...pretty much my target right now.

Don't know if you can follow my reasoning...Ross says more with less :-)...but its been working for me. Still much work to be done, but the journey' been a blast.
ChaseUK02

Thanks Ross!

-Chase
horstie

I am a member since May 2013 and used Ross's swing method with good results. This spring I came across the Mehlhorn/Shave and Brian Sparks swing. As the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence I bought the book and video.
After trying this method for a few months I went back to Ross's swing. Ross's method gives you a straighter and more consistent ball flight and is more repeatable. The other methods have too many moving parts to hit the ball consistently.
No more experimenting for me!
Thanks for your excellent instructions Ross.
Horst
Ross

Administrator
No worries.  I learned a long time ago ... "Trust but verify".  I'm always looking for something better too.  I know my method is not perfect (yet), and does take work/practice, but much of my method developed over the last 20 years with many, many students and experimentation.  So, many of these concepts have really stood the test of time.  I know they are more reliable if done correctly... thanks for the confidence.  Always here to help!

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Anthony225

I tried it and didn't like it at first because I kept topping the ball. I stopped using it and went back to my old weight shift method. The weight shift method had me a little inconsistent so I went back to Ross' s method. This time I was hitting the ball better but had no distance. My 7 iron was going 140yds when my weight shift method sent it closer to 160yds. So I quit the Ross Method again! Later I tried it on and off until I eventually started compressing the ball better and picking up distance. Now my 7 iron is going 160yds+. I am a 100% Ross a method guy now. I have only used it on the Range and Pitching green so far but my friends will be impressed on the course after they get over the unorthodox look of it. I am the worst of my friends but only been working at my game for a few months. Before this year I was a onxe or twice a year player.

I am struggling a bit on my partial 56 degree and Gap wedge swings between 50-70 yards at the moment. I'm working on getting consistent distance. I lose the flying wedge sometimes causing ball flight to be too high on some shots. On other shots I send the ball over the green like a rocket!

One thing I do like about the method, besides the simplicity, is how you can crank out more distance by turning faster without hurting accuracy too much.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2005-2017 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.