Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more

Quick update from Las Vegas #golfinstruction #golflessons #duplessisgolf #golfhelp

A post shared by Ross DuPlessis (@duplessisgolf) on

Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Maddy

Do you feel, for right handed player, that the Right hip starts pushing or Left hip pulls?
Ross

Administrator
Hi Maddy
Personally, I just send an image to my brain to "turn" like I would when I throw a ball.  My body knows what to do... unwind.  Now, that movement unwinds from ground up, so to help my students learn, I might say start the downswing unwinding your hips.  Also, I if you practice the drills like Large Muscle Drill, Finish Drill  these will give you a sense of what image you're using to make the move.

Also... if right hip push or left hip pulls works... use it by all means.  The key is to turn and accelerate.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Tallguy

Still struggling with the start of the downswing, Ross.  Does the upper body (shoulders) stay perfectly still & the hips turn in a barrel, shift laterally toward the target, left knee move toward the target, or what?  Thanks!
Tallguy

Still have a question, Ross.  As the lower body "Unwinds" to start the downswing, Does the upper body stay still & the shoulders closed until impact?  I have trouble separating my lower body & upper body movement toward the target in the downswing.  They always want to move together.  Thanks!
Tallguy

Ross:  Can You Please answer the above question?  Thanks!
Ross

Administrator
Sorry, I'm not sure what happened to my answer.   I did answer this the day you asked, but I was traveling and answered from my iPad on the road.  Guess it didn't make it.

If you wind up the backswing correctly, the shoulders move first as the lower body resists, until the slack in your back has been wound up (like a rubber band)... then the shoulders continue rotating, and the hips get turned a little bit to finish the backswing.  You have wound up from Top-Down. 

Now, we start the downswing unwinding from Ground-Up.  The lower body will start to unwind, BUT since we already took the slack out of the back muscles, once the lower body starts, the upper body has to come along.  It can't be left behind if the back was wound up correctly.  This creates a lot of torque and since the lower and upper body are wound like that rubber band, the arms/club will unwind back down into impact and around to the left (right hander).  At the start of the downswing, you should be able to feel, the front knee actually move the club head through the continuity of wound up muscles.  This is powerful and repeatable.  It does take practice to learn.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Tallguy

Thanks, Ross!  Will try that. So you feel the left knee going toward the target as the first move in the downswing?
Ross

Administrator
Yes.  I answered this question for you in the "downswing" forum.  Here is a link:

http://forums.duplessisgolf.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1286939720&postcount=1

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Tallguy

It's getting better, Ross!  I'm still pulling my driver & longer clubs through the 6 Hybrid, but hitting the more lofted clubs high, straight, & solid.  My toughest hole on my course with water on both sides of the fairway, I hit a good tee ball and had "150" yards uphill over water and a sand trap right in front of the pin.  I was playing an old ball, too.  I figured "What have I got to lose?"  I turned my shoulders & unwound my hips as hard as I could in the downswing.  That 7 iron flew straight and true 10' from the pin! Now if I can only stop pulling my longer clubs?  Any ideas?  Thanks!
Ross

Administrator
Yes.  First, golf is hard.  You're pretty new to these changes... give it time.  Again, use the search tab here for "ball going left" or "pulled".  Also at the blog.  I have a lot on this subject.  Hint: you're either not continuing your rotation on the longer club allowing the arms/club to pass your body... or your "flipping" or closing the club face at impact.  Do some searches (here or the blog) and you'll get better.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Tallguy

Thanks, Ross!  Played again today with my "New Ross Swing" & Hit it inconsistently, contact & compression were "Thin".  Hit a few shots on the range with my "Tour Striker" training club & hit the ball much better.  What do you think about us "Newbies" using training clubs to learn your new swing?  Thanks!
Ross

Administrator
Some help, most hurt because they are not about this golf swing.  I would not use anything.  The drills are all you need.  Constructive practice is the best training.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Tallguy

Speaking of Drills:  I need to do the large muscle drill more!  I finally figured out I was letting my hips turn with my shoulders at the start of the backswing & not getting any tension or separation between the hips and shoulders.  I finally restrained my hips on the backswing for my last shot and flushed my 7 iron 156 yards!  My previous average yardage with my 7-iron & "New Swing" had only been around 140 yds.  I'm guessing this restraining the hips at the start of the backswing is "Essential", Ross?  Thanks!
Ross

Administrator
Great! You got it!  That is the "top-down" idea.  It is like you give the shoulders a "head start" on the takeaway.  If you get that bit of resistance, the shoulders will wind up the back muscles.  Then a bit later, the hips can be turned a little by the shoulders continuing a bit more.   You don't need a big backswing, the just correct sequence.  The lower body resisting should help keep you with the 60% on your front foot during the backswing.  The back leg can help by "digging in" the instep of the back foot.  You don't want the weight to ever get on top of, or to the outside of, the back foot (or you slid).  All this creates bit potential... so you can just turn on the downswing.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
bigdave18629

Progress....but then....Played my first round having worked on many of the drills for hours on the range and had some results that would indicate I am on the right track.  With this said, there is a long way to go.  One thing I noticed is that because I am so focused on moving my shoulder, arms, etc... as one piece that I believe I began overdoing it and stopped my lower body in the down swing, or better said swung with only my shoulders.  This caused some real issues with my short irons and wedges including a couple of the dreaded "s" word.  I like the analogy you used of winding up the top and then unwinding the bottom, is this the right direction?  I also, I am quite tall, and even with fitted clubs am quite bent at set up, think of Phil Blackmar size and build, anything I should be looking out for?

One last thought, and I do mean this constructively.  I have noticed that when asked about similarities of your swing to "other" styles that you discuss how your swing is unique to you and you are not aware of any similarities since you never watched theirs.  I believe the questions are only being asked because "we" have been searching for answers and with the web have been exposed to many swings and thoughts and are trying to make sense of it all.  If a swing method is built on a solid foundation there are going to be similarities between styles, and some differences.  Many of us may not be able to recognize those differences and your guidance would be helpful.  Along these same lines, sometimes when educating someone, we all grasp the concepts in different ways and need to hear the same thing said differently in order for us to lock on to it.  I know you are a student of the game, so it is just a thought, to share some of that when "we" ask about similarities or differences from other styles.  Just food for thought.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2005-2017 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.