Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more

Quick update from Las Vegas #golfinstruction #golflessons #duplessisgolf #golfhelp

A post shared by Ross DuPlessis (@duplessisgolf) on

Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
JW66

Hello Ross, I found your website by chance and it all made sense. I'm a 68 year old female and have a couple of observations to share. 1) Not to be too graphic, but I have a little different anatomy than a male and was struggling where to put my arms with the template on setup. Finally decided that just putting my arms on the pecs, although mine are not flat, seems to be working! Squeezing them together was hiking my shoulders up. 2) The grip- in the forums, there was a post about putting the little finger pad on top of the shaft. That has made a difference because just putting the big pad of the palm on top of the shaft made the grip too strong and the little finger pad was actually under the shaft. 3). Weight on the front leg -like others it wasn't until I read it in the forums, that I realized the chest has to be over the left leg too, not just the left hip. That helps in keeping the weight forward on the backswing. 4). Back elbow- it took a lot of videos of my swing to figure out that on the backswing my right elbow was actually going away from my body. It wasn't a big flying elbow so it didn't look too wrong. Once I brought that elbow towards the other or pointing more to the front, it made a huge difference in contact. 5). Target - in one post, you said to really focus on the target, not just take a quick look. That has really helped in completing the turn to the target not just hitting the ball. 5) chicken wing - after looking at my videos, I saw the ugly chicken wing on the downswing so that's what I'm working on now. Once I can trap the ball effectively, I think that will make a difference. Just thrilled with your instructions. Conventional instruction is so complicated. I'm a 24 handicap but feel that I can get it lower with more consistent ball striking. Your putting technique has helped a great deal in making solid contact. Today's round, only 27 putts. Pitching is better but my hands want to still get into the pitch so that is still causing problems. Will send a video soon. For your members who have a smart phone, just a reminder that making a video of their swing is invaluable for evaluating the swing and seeing the flaws on their own. thanks!
Ross

Administrator
1) That is great.  That is how my wife (built the same) does it and is successful.

2) Yes.

3) Very observant.  Yes.

4) Yay!  The elbows are a big key.  Great to hear.

5) Yes, helps you accelerate through to "re-see" the target you had focused on, so the swing does not end at the ball.  You've focused your goal beyond the ball... or through the ball.  This is done via the turn not just the arms/hands.

6) Yes again the elbows play a very large role in maintaining the radius for more consistent ball striking.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
twild

Ross could you comment on item #3 above - weight and chest over front leg?  Don't understand "chest" part.
Ross

Administrator
When you setup with more weight on the front foot, it is not just sliding your front hip forward and leaving your chest behind... you want the chest to move more on top of the front foot too.  This is where you'll be on the downswing unwinding.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
JW66

Another aha moment today from one of Ross' responses. Although the grip may not be critical in his system, I found that my strong grip was making my hands roll as in a traditional swing, thus not keeping my wrists fixed. I realized that if I make sure my elbows are pointing at my hips first and then grip the club, ball striking is much better and club face stays square. It takes time for all this to sink in!
JW66

Hi Ross. While reading thru a forum with Anthony you mentioned the "gap drill" in putting. It was mentioned also in another forum. In one it says set up with putter head a foot behind the ball and another 4-6 inches. Could you elaborate on that please.? Would love to see that in a video.
I tried it yesterday with pretty good results. Got timid thinking about my shoulders but once I thought just hit the ball, much better. It definitely takes the hands out. My goal was to shoot in the 80s but wound up 91 with 31 putts.
I keep a journal of each round and practice session. Practice includes walking a few holes in the evening which allows a do over for a bad shot.! The journal is a good way to see the flaws that keep showing up
I struggled for a week by not getting my weight , hip and chest, to the left. Lost distance and accuracy. Once I realized that, it was like magic. Most problems occur in the setup, don't they? Hopefully I won't get lazy on that again.
Onward! So much fun. Thank you.
Ross

Administrator
It is actually very simple.  All you have to do is, setup to putt, then "flatten" your front wrist, and let the back wrist bend "in" then "hold" that shape.  That should move the club head back some to create the "gap". Make sure you keep the club head square when you do this move.  The club face must be 90° to your path when you move the club using your front shoulder.  You can check this by taking practice strokes above a "straight line" of some kind.  Sometimes I check that my putter club face is square (90°) to my "path" by practicing over another club shaft laying on the ground.

This "gap" putting setup does a few different things.  It takes the hands out (since the wrists are holding the shape).  It allows the front shoulder to do all the work (both directions - Push Down, Pull Up) ... and the best part, (with the ball on your front toe or just inside the front foot - never middle), is, it hits "up" on the ball for wonderful overspin (without flipping), because the grip is solid holding the "setup shape" and the front shoulder "pulls up".

I'm not sure "most" problems occur in the setup.  Golf has a lot of things that can go wrong.  An Athletic setup will be a great start.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2005-2017 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.