Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more

Quick update from Las Vegas #golfinstruction #golflessons #duplessisgolf #golfhelp

A post shared by Ross DuPlessis (@duplessisgolf) on

Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Anthony225

I recently hit some of the best golf shots ever using your method. I had been struggling with the swing and now I know why. Once this "snapped" I started hitting beautiful shots. I see now that I was not winding up correctly, keep the club in front of my upper body (between the shoulders), or doing the Ross Move correctly. Now I think I'm on the right track. I'm hitting greens in regulation and the thing is, I now expect to land on the green from about 215yds and in (about how far I smoothly and reliably hit my 3 wood). Of course it doesn't happen every time but I have the confidence that I can do it if I can see a path to the green. My short shots and sand shots still need work as I lost a bunch of shots there, but I'm very happy with my iron play and my woods. I did not chunk or hit fat on a single iron or wood shot today except for a couple of very short shots near the green.
Ross

Administrator
Wow, that's great Anthony!  Yes, the wind up (when learned and done correctly), gives you the confidence to just unwind and let it all happen.  This is great news for sure and will help others to realize... "Time & Effort" pays off.  

The other cool thing about this method, is once things start clicking, if you lose it, you can get it back quickly, because there are less moving parts.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Anthony225

Knowing when you are correctly wound up is a big thing. My shoulder turn was not allowing me to wind up correctly. And when I would watch examples my shoulder turn looked to me like it was good. When I finally wound up to what I feel was correct, the slightest turn of the hips makes the club start coming down. It truly becomes effortless to hit through the ball and my only thoughts are turn my hips while pulling my squeezed elbows in front of my hips and to the finish.
When I lost sight of one of my shots on the air on a par 3 hole, one of my playing partners said, "you are heading for the flag. I mean right for the flag...again....".
Ross

Administrator
Awesome!  Yes, when wound up correctly, any unwinding (hips or body), will move the club head too.  

At the top of the backswing, there is a wound up continuity through your body (like a rubber band), from your shoulders down to your feet .  Now the arms/club are just an extension of the shoulders (the arm template), so as the swing unwinds, everything just unwinds similar to a "whip".  There is some tension and powerful potential stored in the muscles, ready to unwind and accelerate all the way to the finish.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
larry

I have been working on this swing for about a year now and every time I think "I got it now!" I backslide and lose it . I have hit about 2000 range balls and played more than 50 rounds of golf trying to put all the elements together. Some have become automatic: stance, 60 percent weight forward, lead shoulder straight back etc. last week, after struggling on the front, it all came together. The only way I can describe the sound of my iron shots is: ziiiiipp! The feel was like there was no ball there at impact. Ball flight was a tiny draw or small fade. Distance with mid irons was plus five or six yards longer than average. It did not feel like I was exerting as much effort as I usually do. Balance was perfect. What a great feeling when you do it right and see and feel great results. Well worth the time I have put in. Now if I could just putt! I may stop in Albuquerque this summer for a lesson Ross.
Thanks,
Larry
Ross

Administrator
Great news Larry!  I'm sure you've learn something about yourself during the process.  This will get you back on track faster since you've been there, lost it and got it back.  This method has less moving parts once learned and easier to get back on track.

Okay... putting is not that tough.  Watch the Putting Routine and listen very carefully (take notes)... I'll be there is something in there that you missed or forgot about.  

I'll tell you what also really helps, is to use the "Gap Drill" for putting!! Get that back wrist locked... get that ball forward (just inside front foot) and leave a gap (like a foot or more)... let the arms hang* and use only the front shoulder... push down... then pull up (no flip -  no hands) and that ball will roll perfect and hold the line.

* When the arms are hanging, the putter is always slightly off the ground... then use your feet to move over to the ball DON'T REACH.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
megolf70

I recently signed up as a member.  I was a frustrated golfer as I did not play for 12 years. When I came back to the game I was 12 years older, 12 years fatter, and had lost my swing that used to let me be an 8 handicap.  In the past 3 years I have tried every swing method you can think of,  Count Yogi, Moe Norman, Kirk Junge, and several others. Your free videos are done extremely well, short and to the point.  For three weeks I have been practicing your drills for pushing the shoulder back, keeping the template together while turning my hips to the target.  Well this week it came together on the golf course where I have been shooting in the 87 to 95 range.  The first 7 holes I was one over and all I did was concentrate on your pre-shot routine.  HOLD....PUSH.......HIPS.  WOW! Went par, par, par, par, par, bogey, par....then I committed the cardinal sin.....started thinking about score and not pre-shot routine....double bogey, double bogey for a 41. Back nine was similar...my point is REMEMBER TO ONLY THINK OF THE PRE-SHOT ROUTINE and I will play great.  THANK YOU ROSS.....YOU ARE A GREAT TEACHER. Learned a lot from the blogs also.[smile] Oh did I mention I am 72 years old?
Ross

Administrator
WTG!  Sounds like you had fun... that's the real prize!!  It's about focus.  As you get more "neutral" (emotionally) when you play, you can keep it going until the end.  That is actually not as fun... you get it.  Glad you had such a "deserved" round.  The one that you feel you've worked for and are ready to have!!!

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
megolf70

Great terminology "Get more neutral".  We are playing again tomorrow and I will stay as "neutral" as possible.  [cool] Thank you again for your dedication to this wonderful game.
Ross

Administrator

A "trick" I learned to keep yourself "in the moment" or "neutral", is to listen to you "self-talk" (what you're telling yourself).  Your self-talk it is VERY powerful (good or bad) and your body will react accordingly.  So, if you start loosing it and start with negative self-talk, put up a mental "STOP" sign and tell yourself to "STOP".  Then change your self talk back to your "routine" or something positive.  This takes some practice, but really works.  The key is to "catch" yourself either way... too excited or too negative... then "STOP" yourself and return to neutral!  

I think the book was something like "Mental Toughness" that had this idea.  It was across the board with all Great Athletes... they kept their emotions in a "Neutral Climate".  Actually, a little bit excited is the best climate.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
megolf70

Forgive me for taking so long to get back to you. Keeping your inner voice quiet is not an easy task. Your 100% correct about "Staying Neutral".  When I did I hit great shots.  I still have a tendency to over swing and pull the ball to the left.  When I feel like everything is turning together I hit the ball amazingly straight and with increased yardage. I will be playing today with my set of 1 irons which are all the same length just different lofts.  These clubs have the same exact swing weight.  Will let you know the results (should promote consistency). Again Ross, Thank you for your dedication to improving our game. 
Ross

Administrator
Great to hear.  Thanks for the nice comments.  Yes, this "mental" part of golf is elusive.  That darn "doubt" can creep in (sadly for Jordan The Masters), just when you think you've got everything under control.  All it takes is one shot, then your "inner voice" in your head that says "oh no, not that"...  or "where did that come from"... or  "why did that happen"... then, those kind of "fear enhancing" thoughts, can actually causes a bit of adrenalin to enter the equation... hum, now what?  Well, what you tell yourself next, will greatly determine how your game progresses.  If you leave those scary self-talk comments unattended, my experience has been, you kind of enter into a minor "shock" mode.  Almost "vacant", like you don't know what to do.

Well, here comes the cavalry!  Once you tell yourself to "STOP", you replace or override those comments with reassurance comments.  Tell yourself "no worries, I know what causes that"... or "Okay, (as you take a deep breath*... hold it... let it out slowly)... now, let's take a little extra time, get back to neutral and follow our routine".

Another helpful technique, is to totally change what you're doing.  If you knock one OB with Driver,... put it back in your bag and get out 3 wood or a long iron for the next shot and DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT.  It is too easy to "repeat" a bad shot.  It is too vivid in your mind right then.

*Taking a deep breath through your nose and holding for 3-4 seconds, then slowly letting it go, really will help bring your back to "the moment".  This takes practice, but really helps.  Use it often under stressful situations.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
megolf70

As promised here is a report of yesterday's round.  Started with bogey, bogey, a couple of should have made putts. Then started with your pre-shot routine of HOLD - PUSH - HIPS.  Par 3 over water, 4 footer for birdie. I do not want to take up your time with a hole by hole description, just let you know how right on your system is.  

Front nine 3 birdies for a 39 and back nine 1 birdie for a 44 (missed 2 short putts for birdies by not putting firm through the break).  Had a few shots where I slipped back to old swing thoughts and still have a tendency to over swing with driver. When I do I pull to the left. I also have changed my putting stroke to your system which is totally different than my old locked arm wrist hinge stroke (how tight do you grip the putter?). 

Thanks again Ross for all you do .....I practice daily with foam balls inside the house and work on your drills. Looking forward to shooting in the 70's again which I feel is going to be real soon.

My advice to any golfer......DO YOURSELF A FAVOR and TRY THIS SYSTEM. IT WORKS!

BigAl

I have tried most very simple golf swing method out there. I have a couple f thousand dollars invested in DVDs, videos...book and ebooks plus golf training AIDS.

Am I better than when I started, yes... But am I consistent, heck no!

I can shoot a 40 and 58 in the same week! Who am I??

My second visit to Ross's method and I am now convinced that this is where I belong!
Set up, turn and let it happen!
First time through I could not get any distance....now I am the longest driver again!

Thanks Ross!
JW66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
Great news Larry!  I'm sure you've learn something about yourself during the process.  This will get you back on track faster since you've been there, lost it and got it back.  This method has less moving parts once learned and easier to get back on track.

Okay... putting is not that tough.  Watch the Putting Routine and listen very carefully (take notes)... I'll bet there is something in there that you missed or forgot about.  

I'll tell you what also really helps, is to use the "Gap Drill" for putting!! Get that back wrist locked... get that ball forward (just inside front foot) and leave a gap (like a foot or more)... let the arms hang* and use only the front shoulder... push down... then pull up (no flip -  no hands) and that ball will roll perfect and hold the line.

* When the arms are hanging, the putter is always slightly off the ground... then use your feet to move over to the ball DON'T REACH.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2005-2017 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.