Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more

Quick update from Las Vegas #golfinstruction #golflessons #duplessisgolf #golfhelp

A post shared by Ross DuPlessis (@duplessisgolf) on

Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Anthony225

Ross, your method is great. I am a new member and can more consistently feel good ball compression on Iron shots. I noticed on your Fairway Woods video it appears that your left knee is moving inward on the backswing. In another part of your training I understood the intent is to keep the left knee fixed on the backswing with some tension on it before the downswing starts. Am I understanding this incorrectly? Is the Fairway Wood backswing a little different?
Ross

Administrator
There are a couple of different thoughts on this:

1.  There is a drill that I specifically have the golfer hold the knee as the shoulders move first, then the hips are used to rotate.  This is to use the specific Large Muscles.  I also use the hold the front knee to help teach keeping 60% weight on the front foot.

2.  Ideally, starting with the shoulders as the lower body holds (a bit), helps create torque and power, but once the shoulders have gone as far as they can go (on the bacskswing), they then also move the hips and this can bring in the front knee a little.  I think it is up to the individual.  The key is to not let the weight move over to the back foot.

3.  On short shots, I think it is best to hold the front knee/lower body, and let the shoulders only wind up on the backswing, if the hips or a fuller turn is not needed.  Then on the downswing, the hips/thighs will get involved and will initiate the downswing for a complete body unwinding.

There is nothing in stone about "holding" or "letting it come in a bit" as long as you don't slide to the back foot.  Hope this clarifies it some

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Tallguy

Ross: Played today with my old "Wristy" swing & gave up after 9 holes because of flipping, chunking, & inconsistent contact.  I played better with your swing simply turning my shoulders on the backswing, but I still hit some pulls, slices, & skulled pitch shots when I tried to use my hands in the downswing.  Can you give me some drills & advice on how to start the downswing?  Should I shift the left hip straight toward the target, rotate the left hip in a barrel, turn the left knee toward the target, or what?  Thanks!

Greg
Tallguy

Ross:  I'm very tall @ 6'10" and struggle with swaying to the right in my backswing, so I agree with keeping at least 60% of my weight on the left side throughout the swing.  My former instructor wanted me to keep my left knee in place in the backswing and allow it to flex straight downward toward my left foot, but not move in toward my right foot at all.  Do you recommend this and is it ok to start at 75% of my weight with every shot on my left foot and keep it there in the backswing for every shot, including the driver?  I used the stack & tilt method for awhile & hit very good iron shots, but my driving was poor.  Your thoughts?  Thanks!
Ross

Administrator
Yes, keep 75% is fine and keep your front knee fixed... BUT, do not flex it once your setup.  We don't want to change the level you setup at.

As far as driver, I need more info on what the ball does or what happens to your driver before I can help you.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Tallguy

Driver goes very low, especially when I have the ball 4" in front of my left foot as you suggest.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks!
Ross

Administrator
You are either  "flipping" some, causing the club head to catch the ball barely at the top... or you may be "teed" a bit too low.  Raise the tee up a bit and see if you can catch the center of the club face.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Tallguy

Tee is maximum height.  Maybe I need to rotate more.  Will work on that.  So you still recommend the forward ball position even for someone who is topping the ball?  Why is this better?  Thanks!
Ross

Administrator
I recommend the ball forward for everyone, because once you learn the method and learn to "rotate" vs. stop and "flip" (this comes when you put time in doing the "drills"),... you'll rotate through impact and the shaft will still be leading the club head... the club head "bottoms" out about the front foot and then, 3-4" later, will be "ascending" up into the ball, on a great trajectory (shaft still in line with the front arm) as you're still rotating.  This hits the ball very far, straight and creates roll.  Watch the lesson video again (a few times) listening to what I'm saying and it will make more sense... it works for everyone.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Tallguy

Ross:  I'm still struggling with the long, full shots, not getting consistent contact.  I can't seem to get the sequence correct when I "Allow" the hips to turn to complete the backswing.  Should I try to completely keep the hips from turning in the backswing as in Your "Large Muscle Drill"?  Thanks!
Ross

Administrator
Yes, (restrict the hips) at first with short shots for at least 2 weeks couple hours a day and not hit long shots (and not trying to play if you're struggling).  You are expecting results way too quick.  As you groove (takes weeks/months) these drills, you can use the shoulders to continue turning on the backswing to then turn the hips a little for longer swings.  You're trying to "run" before you can "walk".  Making long lasting change with a golf swing takes weeks/months and everyone is different.  You also can do what I tell everyone... send a couple swing videos for me to look at.  It is not about talking, thinking your way through a new swing, it is working with the drills.  They are the vehicle for change (and time).

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2005-2017 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.