Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more

Quick update from Las Vegas #golfinstruction #golflessons #duplessisgolf #golfhelp

A post shared by Ross DuPlessis (@duplessisgolf) on

Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Ross

Administrator
Most golfers (many Pros too), miss putts on the low side and short, over and over and over... I don't get it.

A putt that misses on the low side (not enough break), never had a chance to go in, and IT IS GETTING FARTHER AND FARTHER AWAY FROM THE HOLE (as it's stopping), leaving you a 5' putt to finish.  A putt that is high (too much break) is getting closer and closer to the hole leaving you a 2' putt to finish.  This stat alone over a round of golf adds up and if you just start reading more break, I'll bet you'll save a few strokes (or at least a more confident attitude)

A putt that's short never had a chance to go in.  You just can't leave putts short.  Short is really bad.  You must fix this if you leave putts short.  There are many easy ways to fix this.  Most putts that are short are from flipping.  It decelerates the putter head and many times goes left (right hander).  To fix, you must maintain your grip pressure during the entire stroke, using your shoulders for a solid putt (rolls much better and more predictable).  You also must have the handle slightly leading the club face, and ball position just inside the front foot, so your stroke is ascending up into the ball (makes end over end roll and holds the line). 

Another reason for leaving putts short, is looking at the hole vs. PAST THE HOLE. This is just a bad habit and can be changed if you change your routine.  I teach my students to never look at the hole for distance.  It's either short of the hole (for downhill putts*) or past the hole for level and even farther past the hole for (uphill putts*).  I call this the "putt-to-spot".  This putt-to-spot will be somewhere along your target line (short of the hole or past the hole).  It is where you will look to get a feel for the distance.  So, if you're leaving putts short, just look a little farther past the cup until you've picked up on the speed of the greens.  You don't have to change your stroke, just your perception.

These are easy fixes, but will take some time at the practice green, to have them as part of your routine.

*Allow more break on a downhill putt and a putt-to-spot short of the cup.  Allow less break on an uphill putt and a putt-to-spot past the cup.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Sebpar

I must say your putting system has made a massive positive impact to my game, as you say when you can use a repeatable method every time, life is sweet.
Your driving method is magic.
I am now playing golf with anticipation rather then apprehension.
Ross

Administrator
Thanks for the nice comments and trust. 

I just keep learning, this game is easier as we find ways to minimize the "variables".  If the body has setup "in balance", we can use the hands/arms to "hold" the shape we need for impact, and let the Larger Muscles do the work.  They are much more reliable and the stroke/swing becomes more repeatable.  This makes our game more consistent, builds confidence and makes golf fun [smile].

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Sebpar

I was 27HC, dropped to 24 in a few week and won the monthly club comp, it's interesting watching much lower HC player putt,and to see how they are all over the place with each different hole.( I just keep my mouth shut).
I have had a couple of single figure HC friends that have said I need to hinge my rists, however as you know that is what has been defeating my game all this time, the other thing is they said I have got the ball too far farward when driving, there was no further discussion after they started seeing the improved results.

The conversation in my head is

Straight arm
Sit
Sixty % weight forward
Spot in front of ball
Shoulder turn
Square club face
Spine rotation ( ie around spine)
Hips
All S's helping develope a routin.
Cheers from Australia.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2005-2017 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.