Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more

Quick update from Las Vegas #golfinstruction #golflessons #duplessisgolf #golfhelp

A post shared by Ross DuPlessis (@duplessisgolf) on

Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
DaveF

Hi Ross,
I'm doing the impact and Ross Move drills religiously but still have gaps in my knowledge. I understand how we finish the swing with right & left feet, but at what point do you feel the weight shift to the left heel?Does the weight stay centered after you perform the Ross Move or does it move back to the heel 90-100% at that point?
(It feels most powerful for me when I feel it move back in conjunction with the hip turn at impact position).

In general, still a big struggle getting the timing down so my shoulders aren't too far behind or in front of my hip turn at impact.
Ross

Administrator
I'm going to give you a visualization that Curtis Strange mentioned once... (Your feet are in setup position)... Imagine someone to your "right", hands you a suit length garment bag, across your arms... you then, want to throw it as far as you can to your "left"...  If you're like most, you'll use your body unwinding, to move your arms/bag, back in front of your body, and as you let your feet naturally roll to maximize the power to toss the bag... your body will essentially be doing the "Ross Move".  This is not exact, because we move a ball not throw something, but the body moves the arms in the same way.

No, the weight does not move to the heel(s).  It moves to the outside of the front foot evenly and centered/balanced.  You should always feel balanced through the entire swing and finish (and hold the finish easily).  What may be happening to you... you're not unwinding your shoulders level (at first on the downswing).  You might be bringing your chest up too soon, and creates a need to feel weight go backwards to your heels. That's speculation... I'd have to see.

I'd focus on the body moving the arms/club and they should not get left behind.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
DaveF

Thanks Ross. That's a great visual, which is what I need. I had it down last weekend during practice and it felt great. I've hit balls in practice and some on the course that left a clear 16 dimple impact mark dead center
on the club face, so I know it's possible. Painful to fall back into duffer mode once you've had a taste of that.

Some further clarification on the movement of the weight in the left foot. If I turn my hips without a club, say with my arms on my chest, when my hips turn/pivot, the weight naturally goes back toward the left heel as my left hip turns behind me, then as I turn to the target the left foot rolls to the outside front of the foot as you describe. If I press or "glue down" my left foot really hard so the weight doesn't move back, it stays centered.
Is that what I am going for?
I had been doing this a couple months ago but then I had difficulty turning my hips through to the target, but I think we solved that with the impact drill.
Thanks for your patience.
Ross

Administrator
You want to setup centered and balanced to begin with, and learn to turn both directions staying centered.  What I mean by centered, is not drifting towards the ball, nor towards your heels (away from the ball), until the ball is gone and you're coming up and out to finish facing the target.  Then your weight is almost 100% on the front foot, but still centered and balanced.  Again, you should be able to hold your finish easily feeling balanced.  

This comes when you become aware of balance to begin with, then practice staying in balance.  In time you won't accept a setup or swing out of balance, and more consistent ball striking/putting will be the result.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
DaveF

Thanks Ross, that's huge.

I was watching the Pebble PA and noticed the better amateurs were making some great shots staying connected to the ground longer than most of the Pros, like you are describing.

Excited to work on that. I am getting slowly better at swinging from the ground up, something I didn't I could ever accomplish a year ago.
DaveF

Hi Ross,
Back to struggling with the downswing. Wondering what to feel to start it? (Given the hips are in control and keeping weight left)Right shoulder pulled down, or in? Right elbow into side? Both?

I've been working on the shoulders moving symmetrically around the spine to the backswing but that seems wrong now, should I be getting the right shoulder more under and in the slot so the club has a chance to go left through impact to avoid flipping and casting?
The stay behind vid helped, but I need some sort of drill to help me get the motion correct.
Ross

Administrator
Hi Dave
My first thought for you is ... you're making this much more difficult than it is.  The arms/hands don't do anything but maintain the setup shape during the backswing and downswing.  You want to let the Large Muscles take control.

Your questions:

1.  If you've wound up correctly, I'd say feel the front (left side) of your body, start the downswing as a feeling of "unwinding".  You can feel what this should feel like by throwing a ball.

2.  The hips are not in control like the shoulders control the backswing ... the hips can be use to "start" the downswing, (so the feeling is from ground up), but the body as a whole is "unwinding", and if it is wound up correctly, there will be a continuity through all the muscles, so as the hips or front side start the downswing, everything else will come along.  

3.  The right shoulder is not pulled down, it is unwound on the same path is wound up (90°) to the spine.  The shoulders windup, then unwind basically on the same path (around the spine).  The right elbow does not go to the side ... it just returns (in front of the back hip), since the shoulders unwind opposite from how they wound up.

4.  No,  the right shoulder is not more under.  The golf swing is rotary. As we unwind the right shoulder has to return moving forward.  It does not drop down.  No manipulation is necessary.  I don't use a term "slot" and the club will feel like it is being dragged (the grip end) to the left since we are turning.  It does not go left by using the hands/arms.  If the body does its work through impact and the hands don't help, there will be no flipping or casting.

5.  The "fixed" wrist drill will help (start with very short shots to get the idea).  Shoulders take the club back, ... then the body brings the arms/club back down and around without anything changing.  EVERYTHING SHOULD FINISH TOGETHER and you must keep the face square.  Once finished, the shaft should look exactly like it did at setup.  If it does not, the hands helped.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
DaveF

Thanks Ross. You are Right about that. I'm definitely the "King" of over thinking, esp. with golf!
Regarding #2 point, my assumption was that the hips have to maintain a pulling connection with the shoulders so that they didn't "race ahead" finishing before the hips to one degree or the other. Clearly I misinterpreted that part of the swing and was trying to do something that's not possible. That's a big help to say the least.
I think I'm subconsciously trying to avoid anything that requires natural "athleticism", but clearly have taken that too far.
Anthony225

Ross,
Does the front arm stay connected to the side of the upper chest before and after impact? Including as your body turns and rotates the club to the left?
Ross

Administrator
Not consciously.  Think more of the shoulders/arms as a "triangle" that moves as a unit.  The elbows need to work towards each other to keep the triangle in tact.  Yes, the back elbow bends (down) a bit on backswing, then the front elbow bends (down) after impact, but it is the idea that they're staying close, that helps maintain our radius during the swing.  

Then ... think of the shoulders move the arms/club on the backswing ... then, the body moves the triangle on the downswing.  You are not actively trying to hold an arm connected to anything.  

Traditional instruction tries to have you hold one or the other arm pits at different points of the swing, BUT I found that causes tension and does not let the Large Muscles do the work.  Keeping the elbows towards each other* achieves what the "pinch the arms pit" idea was after and a lot more, by freeing the shoulders to move the arms.

*  This is not "rigid arms"  this is a soft, slight control of the elbows, to work towards each other during the swing.  They can not just bend and fly uncontrolled anywhere... but,  rigid arms causes tension too so this is subtle. 

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
DaveF

Thanks for that, I was practicing thinking of keeping the triangle (elbows in) and it was great, both mentally because of the simplicity, and also placing the emphasis back to the lower body turn.
I'm still struggling with sitting down enough that my knees are truly athletic (years of "only slight knee bend" instruction).
Just bought a Bluetooth Smartphone camera & Tripod set-up to get more disciplined with the video analysis I need to send you.

PS Like the use of the "inner voice" for tempo. I was using "Johnny" (Backswing) "Miller" (DS) because he recommended it, but I'll give Ernie Els a try [smile]
Ross

Administrator
Hint:  Your Inner Voice tempo will really work when the words are changed to your "Keywords" ... like  "Shoulders-Body"  or   "Finish-Finish"  or  "Wind-Unwind"  "Hold-Rotate"  one word for backswing and one for downswing, in equal rhythm (at the pace you need for the shot).  These send productive visualizations  vs. Johnny-Miller.  

PS  Oh, and the words must be similar in length ... like,  Go-Antidisestablishmentarianism  won't work as well.  You get what I mean.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
horstie

Ross, is the right elbow attached to the body when hitting the ball?
Ross

Administrator
No.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
DaveF

Thanks Ross. Not there yet but big improvement this weekend thinking about the rotation more correctly. I realize tension is my biggest issue when it comes to the full swing when I'm having trouble getting the correct feel. I got up and down on almost every par 3 this weekend from all over the place, but for some reason I get more tense from a perfect lie in the middle of the fairway or on the tee on even a short par 3. Having said that, I realize it was only a few months ago I wasn't being consistent with almost anything, so I guess I should cut myself a break lol?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2005-2017 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.