Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more

Quick update from Las Vegas #golfinstruction #golflessons #duplessisgolf #golfhelp

A post shared by Ross DuPlessis (@duplessisgolf) on

Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
chrisberniergolf

Ross,

To be brief, am 43 years old and started to learn to play golf in August 2014.  I've studied videos online looking for drills to practice (and I do practice a lot) including some of yours.  I chip and putt using your methods and those are the strongest parts of my game.  I had practiced your full swing drills early on, but when I took lessons last summer from a local instructor, she "corrected" my closed (square) take away and I spent this entire winter practicing and studying swings with wrist hinge, etc.. the way everyone swings.

I am an awful golfer.  My goal last year was to break 100.  I didn't get close.  After a horrible outing in January, several terrible trips to the range, and an awful trip to the Par 3 course in February, I made a commitment to try and stick to your swing instruction for this entire summer.  Even if my buddies rib me about having an "unconventional" swing, I can't get worse than I already am.

So, after four weeks of practicing your techniques with and without balls at home, I took my new swing to the Par 3 course today.  Amazing.  I thought I would lose distance (which is very short... 45 degree pitching wedge 100 yards at best... average 200 yards with my driver) and I didn't.  My first few shots were shorter than normal, but after losing the fear of errant shots, I think I was hitting longer than I ever have.  Solid shots.  Straight.  I had a great day and wish I had kept score.  So thank you for your help.  Also, I got the membership on your website and am glad I did.  You have a lot of great drills there that will be a great help because I am a drill oriented guy (former wrestling coach)

Here is my question:  In working with your drills, keeping the "template" has caused me to have a lot of soreness in arms.  All other instruction says to keeps your arms limp like spaghetti noodles, but to trap the ball with the template and rotate through, I feel like I have to keep my arms and elbows tense, and while it works, I want to make sure I am doing it properly.  Should I keep my arms rigid enough to hold the template while swinging through, or should I loosen up?  Is this something that may go away the more I practice?

Thanks in advance for your answer... I had a wonderful day on the Par 3 course today.  I didn't realize golf can be this fun!  Keep up the good work

Ross

Administrator
Glad to hear about your improvement and that you're committed.

You have to find the right amount of tension in the arms.  We're trying to just maintain our radius on the backswing and until after the ball is gone.  

Now, if you didn't know, the back arm (right arm for a right hander), does bend some on the backswing and then on the follow through the left arm will bend after the ball is gone.  What we are trying to do is keep the arms close together so they work as a unit.  If you have relaxed arms and elbows, the radius changes... usually with collapsing on the backswing, then elongating (stretching longer than setup), on the downswing due to inertia.  

You don't want the arms stiff as possible.  You just want the elbows working towards each other. It just takes practice to find the right amount of tension.  Also, the elbows pointing at the hips at setup and through impact really helps too.

I don't want you to hurt yourself.  I think most people know the difference in sore muscles from a new use or exercise, and doing something wrong that is causing pain.  You may be just over doing it a bit because your'e having fun. You have to be the judge on this.  If it does not improve or gets worse... you should make a change.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
chrisberniergolf

10-4.  I am not hurting myself, just more sore in my arms than I am accustomed to.  Normally I get a little sore in my back after playing a round, which didn't happen today, so I am fine.  Your instruction has simplified my swing and I've never struck more solidly than today.  I thank you for your prompt response.  

I'll keep practicing and let you know how it goes.  Thank you for your teaching.
carlgo

I am getting sore legs as well as some minor arm soreness, and I think that is a good thing. It does all depend on the time and intensity of a session. One of the on-line golf guys had a very clever demo where he put slippery paper under his shoes and when he swung his feet slid all over the place. It was a good demo of how important the legs are (and why golf shoes are required). 
Ross

Administrator
I don't agree and have not had any spiked shoes for 20 years.  If you are balanced and athletic, you won't need spikes (soft spikes) with my method.  If you setup correctly, windup correctly, then unwind correctly, you'll be solidly anchored to the ground (unless it is wet and rainy).  Sorry to say...

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
carlgo

That is interesting. Actually I wear regular old athletic type shoes at my plastic mat and only have slipped a few times after a rain. And my golf shoes have an aggressive tread, but no spikes. 

BTW, are golf courses normally open on very rainy days or do the employees shut it down and go home? It might be fun to play in the rain and I would like to try that sometime. 
Ross

Administrator
I think it would depend on the course, and how much water they received over a period of time... and how well the course can drain.  

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2005-2017 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.