Forums at duplessisgolf

Move Less ... Get Good!

Access over 90 Lesson Videos by PGA Professional Ross duPlessis ... learn more

Quick update from Las Vegas #golfinstruction #golflessons #duplessisgolf #golfhelp

A post shared by Ross DuPlessis (@duplessisgolf) on

Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
hacker73

Hi Ross,

Last season, I experimented with several changes in attempt to have a more consistent golf swing. I had been watching several Shawn Clement videos on becoming target driven, but was still struggling with consistency. One day by accident, I added a variation on his teaching, I left my weight forward, took a normal back swing and used my lower body to drive the swing. I went from a 95 on a challenging public course in our area to a 81 just three weeks later. My shots were straight all day. I thought I had it. But as I played throughout the rest of the summer, I couldn't reproduce the consistency or the swing and ended up with old habits. Discouraged, yes! But I was intent on making strides this year. Last month I happened to be reading through Shawn's forums and ran across someone discussing a repeatable swing that mentioned your site. I immediately opened it and watched some video. I was confident that what you were teaching was really close to my swing that one day. I was anxious to try it out, but of course that there was snow on the ground and it would remain for the next 21 days.

I did some indoor practice using some of the drills you described and finally got the opportunity to take it to the course this week. I had to travel to Florida and use rental clubs, but the swing was working. My drives were consistently long and in play. I would have scored much better, but I was pushing my less-than-full-swing approach shots. I scored even with a friend that regularly shoots in the low-80's, so I was happy!

I look forward to trying it out with my own clubs and a little range practice. I will report back.

Thank you for sharing your discoveries.

R.J.

Ross

Administrator
I'm a little curious about what the "misses" were, as you fell away from the 3 week period, when you were playing really well.  Was it direction or miss hitting the ball?

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
hacker73

My misses last summer after my "dream" round were all over the place (blocking, slicing, hooks and pulls). After watching your videos, I realized that my wrist were too active (trying to add extra power) and I was relying on timing which is difficult to repeat. I was also hitting the ball and not swinging through the ball. I couldn't believe how long I was hitting this past week without the wrist.
Ross

Administrator
It is amazing how many different kinds of "misses" come from a single source (the hands).  There are also volumes of remedies (books, DVDs, Videos, Blogs etc.) offering variations of options for how to better "use" the hands to "fix" the issues, when "the hands" are (90% of the time), the issue.  Like putting the "fox" in charge of the hen house.

To me, one of the biggest "wrong paths" concepts is "swing plane".  As if redirecting or lifting the arms/hands/club to some magic place in the backswing, will prevent you, or allow you to throw the club head at the ball and it will always go "long and straight".  With my method, when you setup athletically, and use the shoulders to turn around "your" spine, it will go on the plane your body has established, for the club you choose and conditions... then when you use your body to unwind, will return back to impact way more often than using the hands.  You don't have to worry about swing plane, as long as you use the shoulders... if you let your hands grab and take over, you're in trouble.

My point here is... 99% of golf instructors either don't know, are not familiar (yet), or have not discovered, that the hands "must" stay out of the equation (other than holding the perfect impact shape), to ever have consistent ... square face, hit the sweet spot, repeatable contact.  What they don't know or realize (yet), is how the "body" can be the source of power like it is in almost ALL other athletic movements and many every day tasks.

I do see/hear the Large Muscles concept, creeping in here and there... but you can't have both... you either use the hands (at impact)... or you use all of your body (through impact).

You might want to read this post, to help clarify why I made some of these comments: Click here

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
hacker73

Ross,

Your discussion makes total sense. I really expected to loose distance by taking the wrist out of the equation, but was pleasantly surprised at balls flying longer just by using a quick body turn. Using your method also made my rounds quicker as I wasn't having to think through the moving parts (wrist hinge, hip turn, knee bend, etc.) and practicing the timing at address.
hacker73

Hi Ross! I wanted to report back with updates on my progress. I ended up with a torn rotator-cuff and torn labrum (non-golf related) in early April 2015, so I wasn't really able to progress much after starting with your method last March. I tried to play through it but the pain never subsided and I finally had surgery last November. After a lengthy rehab, I was cleared to get back on the course in early June. It has taken me awhile to shake off the rust, but I feel like I'm getting closer.

Not being able to swing for so long allowed me to do a reset. The big ah-ha moment for me was in discovering more about balance. I realized that I was previously leaning forward at address leading to a lot of inconsistency in my swing results. Since the discovery, I've been making more solid contact with all of my clubs. My pitching has especially improved ... I was able to get up-and-down on 9 holes on my most recent round for an 83. My putting has also improved with the focus on balance. I started using a new technique to my putting by resting my elbows against my stomach and instead of using just shoulders, I emulate your pitching motion - take back with the shoulders and using hip rotation for the forward motion. I only had 27 putts on this round, with several made putts in the 10-15 foot range. I've never putted like that before! 

I still have plenty of work to do in straightening out my longer irons and woods (active arms and a little sway on the backswing), but golf is fun again!

R.J.

Ross

Administrator
Sorry to hear about your injury.  Another one of my students (years ago) ended up with a torn rotator-cuff just carrying out a bag of trash.

Glad to hear about your "Balance" discovery.  It is so critical and such a big part of my method!  It is part of every shot and can add HUGE confidence once learned and incorporated into every setup.

Pitching is the "Life Saver".  When you can pitch the ball and land it right where you want and at the speed needed, it really takes the pressure off of putting... and you usually start pitching in more often.

Thanks for the update! 

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
larry

Hi Ross,
Just a quick question about pitching. I play from the gold tees and often find myself somewhere around 50 to 90 yards from the hole after a good tee shot. In your video about the 50 yard pitch you appear to be using your 56 deg sand wedge. If I am 60 to 90 yards away would you recommend the same technique but using more club such as gap, pitching wedge or 9 iron for this shot?
With a green sloping toward me I often come up short on the green either due to too much spin or simply not carrying the shot far enough.
Your method is still the best of any and I have tried most.
Thanks, Larry
Ross

Administrator
For sure.  You can use (and should experiment*) different lofted clubs for that pitch shot so you know how they will react.  Also... you may be flipping a bit if the ball has a lot of spin.  I actually de-loft (ala the bowed out front wrist), my SW in cases where I want the ball to release a bit and roll forward (my favorite reaction and most natural).

* If you don't hold up play or are alone or you playing partners not mind... drop another ball and try a different club when you find yourself in this situation.  I use to take a cart out to holes on the course where no golfers were and drop 1/2 dozen balls and use different clubs and watch how the balls would react.  Remember to replace or repair your divots and ball marks.

Move Less ... Get Good!   

DUPLESSISGOLF
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

© Copyright 2005-2017 DUPLESSISGOLF All rights reserved.